Podcasts sur l'histoire

Université nationale

Université nationale


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Fondée en 1971, la National University est la deuxième plus grande institution d'enseignement supérieur privée, accréditée et à but non lucratif de Californie. Cette université, affiliée au National University System, est spécialisée dans l'éducation des adultes et l'apprentissage accéléré. L'université possède des campus en Californie, à Hawaï et au Nevada. Le campus principal est basé à San Diego, en Californie. Les centres universitaires sont situés dans 11 grandes régions métropolitaines de Californie et sur des bases militaires dans tout le sud de la Californie. L'Université nationale décerne plus de 60 diplômes de premier cycle et des cycles supérieurs axés sur la carrière, un programme d'accréditation traditionnel, une variété de programmes de stages et des programmes d'apprentissage prolongé. Les disciplines comprennent les affaires, la technologie, la justice pénale, les ordinateurs, l'éducation, les services sociaux, les soins infirmiers, le conseil, les arts et les sciences, etc. et programmes de certificat. Le National University Library System (NULS) prend en charge les besoins éducatifs et de recherche des étudiants et du corps professoral. La bibliothèque de l'université a des succursales dans tout l'État. L'Université nationale est accréditée par la Commission d'accréditation des collèges supérieurs et des universités de l'Association occidentale des écoles et collèges depuis 1977. Elle est également membre de l'Association américaine des collèges pour la formation des enseignants. , le Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences et l'American Association of Intensive English Programs.


Histoire de l'UNI

En 1845, le Queen's College Act créa trois nouveaux collèges « pour l'avancement de l'apprentissage en Irlande » : le Queen's College Cork, le Queen's College Galway et le Queen's College Belfast. Ces collèges ont été ouverts à l'enseignement en 1849 et, en 1850, ont été reliés entre eux sous l'égide de la Queen's University of Ireland, établie par la charte royale.

Université catholique d'Irlande

Un rescrit papal publié en 1847 condamna les Queen's Colleges comme "préjudiciables à la religion" et proposa aux évêques irlandais la fondation d'une université catholique, sur le modèle de Louvain. Un décret du Synode de Thurles en 1850 a accepté la proposition. Le 12 novembre 1851, John Henry Newman est nommé premier recteur de l'Université catholique, institution fondée et financée indépendamment de l'État. L'Université catholique a été officiellement ouverte en novembre 1854.

L'University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879 prévoyait la formation d'une nouvelle université en Irlande, appelée par la suite Université royale d'Irlande, dont les examens étaient ouverts à tous les candidats, qu'ils aient suivi ou non des cours universitaires. La charte de l'Université royale a été accordée le 27 avril 1880 et l'Université Queen's a été dissoute le 3 février 1882.

La fondation de l'Université royale a fourni l'occasion d'améliorer la situation des étudiants de l'Université catholique, à qui les diplômes universitaires reconnus n'avaient pas été disponibles jusqu'à présent. St Patrick's House (maintenant Newman House, St Stephen's Green) a changé son titre en University College, Dublin, et a repris, sous le contrôle des Pères Jésuites, tous les travaux de l'Université catholique, à l'exception de l'enseignement de la médecine, qui a continué dans Cecilia Street, sous le titre de la Catholic University Medical School.

Les Queen's Colleges de Cork, Galway et Belfast continuaient d'exister tels que constitués par la loi de 1845, mais n'avaient aucun statut particulier par rapport à la Royal University, ni aucune participation effective à l'élaboration de sa politique ou à l'élaboration de ses cours.

L'Irish Universities Act, 1908 a créé deux nouvelles universités - l'Université nationale d'Irlande et l'Université Queen's de Belfast et a dissous l'Université royale le 31 octobre 1909. En vertu de cette loi, l'Université nationale est devenue une université fédérale avec son siège à Dublin et avec trois collèges constitutifs établis par charte : University College, Dublin University College, Cork et University College, Galway. Les Queen's Colleges de Cork et Galway ont reçu un statut et un titre entièrement nouveaux. Le Collège universitaire jésuite de Dublin a reçu une nouvelle constitution et a fusionné avec la Faculté de médecine de l'Université catholique. La loi autorisait le Sénat de l'Université à reconnaître les programmes d'études dans d'autres établissements aux fins d'obtention de diplômes, et les établissements suivants ont obtenu le statut de collège reconnu.

  • 1910 à 1997 : St Patrick's College, Maynooth
  • 1975 à 1995 : St Patrick's College of Education, Drumcondra, Dublin
  • 1975 à 1988 : Our Lady of Mercy College, (Carysfort) Dublin
  • 1975 à 1994 : Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
  • 1976 à 1977 : Institut national de l'enseignement supérieur, Limerick
  • 1976 à 1977 : Thomond College of Education, Limerick
  • 1977 : Collège royal des chirurgiens en Irlande
  • 1978 à 2005 : St Angela's College of Education, Sligo
  • 1996 : Collège national d'art et de design, Dublin
  • 2002 : Shannon College of Hotel Management
  • 2002 : Institut d'administration publique
  • 2005 : Institut Milltown
  • 2013 : Université

La loi sur les universités de 1997, entrée en vigueur le 16 juin 1997, a redéfini la nature et le rôle de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. Il a reconstitué le Sénat, qui est le Conseil d'administration de l'Université, composé de trente-huit membres, comme suit :

  • Le chancelier
  • Les directeurs généraux des universités constituantes
  • Le registraire de l'université
  • Quatre membres nommés par le Gouvernement (deux hommes et deux femmes)
  • Quatre personnes élues par chacune des Universités Constituantes
  • Huit membres élus par la Convocation (quatre hommes et quatre femmes)
  • Quatre membres cooptés

En vertu de la loi, le Sénat de l'Université nationale d'Irlande a des fonctions et des responsabilités en ce qui concerne les éléments suivants :

  • déterminer les conditions d'inscription de base
  • réviser le contenu et l'enseignement des cours
  • nomination d'examinateurs externes
  • décerner des diplômes et d'autres qualifications.

La loi de 1997 a également reconstitué les trois collèges constitutifs de l'Université nationale d'Irlande et le Collège reconnu, St Patrick's College, Maynooth en tant qu'universités constitutives.

La loi de 2012 sur les qualifications et l'assurance qualité (éducation et formation) qui est entrée en vigueur en novembre 2012, définit l'Université comme un « organisme de certification désigné ». À ce titre, la Loi exige que l'Université établisse des accords d'assurance qualité à l'égard des « fournisseurs liés » qui offrent des programmes d'enseignement menant à des prix de l'Université. La loi prévoit également un examen périodique des procédures d'assurance qualité de l'université par Quality and Qualifications Ireland, l'autorité établie en vertu de la loi pour superviser l'assurance qualité de l'enseignement et de la formation complémentaires et supérieurs en Irlande.

49 Merrion Square, Dublin 2
Cette maison date des années 1790. Il a été loué par Robert Way Harty de Prospect Hall en 1818, qui est devenu lord-maire de Dublin en 1831. Le numéro 49, du côté est de l'une des places géorgiennes les plus connues de Dublin, abrite le bureau central de l'Université nationale. d'Irlande depuis 1912. Les locaux figurent dans le Registre des structures protégées du Conseil municipal de Dublin qui répertorie les structures protégées d'importance architecturale, historique, archéologique, artistique, culturelle, sociale, scientifique ou technique.


Les salles du Sénat d'origine au premier étage du numéro 49 contiennent un cycle de peintures murales du début du XIXe siècle. Le cycle se compose d'une série de peintures de paysages à l'italienne, qui recouvrent complètement les murs du dado vers le haut. Un cadre peint de boiseries illusionnistes en rouge entoure chaque murale séparément. « [Robert Way Harty] a commandé une série de peintures murales pour le n° 49 Merrion Square, qui représentent des scènes italiennes tirées de gravures de peintures de Claude Lorraine, Salvatore Rosa, Rubens et autres. Ces peintures murales se combinent pour créer un intérieur romantique de noblesse et de style pour la pièce en forme de T….* En l'absence de preuves documentaires, l'attribution des peintures ne peut être établie. Cependant, ils sont de très haute qualité et se classent avec n'importe quel cycle dans ces îles. En tant que paysages encadrés de manière illusoire, ils sont uniques dans le Dublin géorgien et sont également protégés par une ordonnance de préservation.

Le 6 novembre 2001, le Dr Garret FitzGerald, alors chancelier de l'Université, a officiellement ouvert une nouvelle extension au numéro 49 Merrion Square. Dans ses remarques, le Dr FitzGerald a noté que « ... sur le plan architectural, le nouveau bâtiment [le bâtiment Phelan] est très en harmonie avec son environnement. L'idiome géorgien a été interprété avec une grande sensibilité par notre architecte, la couleur de la brique - souvent une note discordante en géorgien recréé - est riche et modulée, le détail de la porte et de la fenêtre est authentique et dans l'ensemble l'effet est harmonieux et complémentaire.

La construction de la nouvelle extension a été entreprise en consultation avec Dublin Corporation et son achèvement marque le premier changement physique majeur dans le bureau central de NUI depuis que l'Université a élu domicile en 1912. L'installation spécialement conçue, conçue pour accueillir de petites conférences, intègre une nouvelle salle pour les réunions du Sénat, deux autres salles de réunion et des installations auxiliaires.

La nouvelle salle du Sénat, connue sous le nom de « salle Phelan », a été en partie financée par un legs de la succession d'Edward J. Phelan, ancien directeur de l'Organisation internationale du travail et distingué diplômé honoraire de l'Université, et son épouse Fernande. Le Dr FitzGerald a exprimé l'espoir que, outre les réunions du Sénat, "la nouvelle extension permettra de se concentrer sur un large éventail d'activités impliquant l'interaction et la collaboration de collègues des universités constituantes et des collèges reconnus de NUI". Compte tenu de son emplacement magnifique, ici au cœur du Dublin géorgien, nous pensons que ce sera un lieu attrayant et utile pour divers événements et fonctions ».
*'Dublin - A Grand Tour' : J. O'Brien et D. Guinness G Weidenfeld et Nicholson Ltd. Londres, 1994.

Universités constituantes

University College Dublin - Université nationale d'Irlande, Dublin

L'Université catholique d'Irlande a été fondée en 1851 par la hiérarchie irlandaise avec John Henry Newman qui a été installé en 1854 comme premier recteur. Les conférences ont commencé le 3 novembre 1854 dans les facultés de théologie, de philosophie et de lettres dans les locaux de St Stephen's Green. Un an plus tard, rue Cecilia, les cours débutent à la Faculté de médecine.

La fondation de l'Université royale a donné l'occasion d'améliorer la situation des étudiants de l'Université catholique, à qui les diplômes universitaires reconnus n'étaient pas disponibles auparavant. L'University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879, a établi l'Université royale d'Irlande en tant qu'organisme d'examen. L'école de médecine de Cecilia Street a continué comme école de médecine de l'université catholique, tandis que les autres facultés, basées à St Patrick's House (maintenant Newman House), St. Stephen's Green, sont devenues University College, Dublin, sous la direction des jésuites.

L'Irish Universities Act (1908) a créé l'Université nationale d'Irlande, avec l'University College Dublin comme collège constitutif auquel une charte a été accordée le 2 décembre 1908. La Catholic University Medical School est devenue une partie de l'University College Dublin. Les locaux d'Earlsfort Terrace utilisés par la Royal University ont été transférés à University College, Dublin, qui a également obtenu l'utilisation du Royal College of Science à Upper Merrion Street en 1926.

En 1934, Belfield House et ses terrains ont été achetés pour fournir un centre sportif et des terrains de jeux et, depuis 1949, le Collège a acquis plusieurs autres propriétés adjacentes. À la suite d'une commission gouvernementale sur les besoins en hébergement des collèges constituants de l'Université nationale d'Irlande, le Dáil Éireann a approuvé la recommandation selon laquelle l'University College Dublin devrait être transféré sur le site de Belfield.

En vertu de la Loi sur les universités de 1997, l'University College de Dublin a été reconstitué en Université nationale d'Irlande, Dublin (Ollscoil na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath). En novembre 1998, ce nom a été changé par arrêté ministériel en University College Dublin - National University of Ireland, Dublin (Coláiste na hOllscoile, Baile Átha Cliath - Ollscoil na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath).

University College Cork - Université nationale d'Irlande, Cork

En vertu des dispositions de la « Loi 8 et 9 Victoria, cap. 66', 1845, (une loi pour permettre à Sa Majesté de doter de nouveaux collèges pour l'avancement de l'apprentissage en Irlande), les trois collèges de Belfast, Cork et Galway ont été constitués le 30 décembre 1845. Les statuts et un système d'éducation à être poursuivis dans les collèges ont été conçus par le « Board of Queen's Colleges ». Le Queen's College Cork, le Queen's College Galway et le Queen's College Belfast ont été ouverts aux étudiants le 30 octobre 1849.

La Queen's University en Irlande a été fondée en 1850, et sa charte prévoyait que le Sénat devrait avoir le pouvoir de conférer aux étudiants des Queen's Colleges de Belfast, Cork et Galway les diplômes et distinctions dans les facultés des arts, de droit et de physique qui sont accordé dans d'autres collèges et universités de Grande-Bretagne et d'Irlande.

En 1879, la loi sur l'enseignement universitaire (Irlande) prévoyait la création d'une nouvelle université en Irlande. La charte de la nouvelle université, appelée Université royale, est accordée le 27 avril 1882 et l'Université Queen's est dissoute le 3 février 1882.

En vertu des dispositions de l'Irish Universities Act, 1908, deux nouvelles universités ont été créées - l'Université nationale d'Irlande et l'Université Queen's, Belfast Queen's Colleges, Cork est devenue l'University College Cork, un collège constitutif de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. Une nouvelle charte pour le Collège a été publiée le 2 décembre 1908. L'Université royale a été dissoute le 31 octobre 1909.

En vertu de la loi de 1997 sur les universités, l'University College Cork a été reconstitué en Université nationale d'Irlande, Cork (Ollscoil na hÉireann, Corcaigh). En novembre 1998, ce nom a été changé par arrêté ministériel en University College Cork - Université nationale d'Irlande, Cork, (Coláiste na hOllscoile, Corcaigh - Ollscoil na hÉireann, Corcaigh).

Université nationale d'Irlande, Galway

L'université a été fondée en 1845 sous le nom de Queens College Galway. C'était l'un des trois Queen's Colleges fondés en vertu des dispositions de la loi 8 et 9 Victoria, cap. 66, intitulé "An Act to enable her Majesty to doted new Colleges for the Advancement of Learning in Ireland" (titre abrégé The Queen's Colleges (Ireland) Act, 1845), les autres étant situés à Belfast et Cork. Le 30 décembre 1845, des lettres patentes ont été émises l'incorporant sous le nom et le style de "Le président, le vice-président et les professeurs du Queens College Galway."

Le collège a ouvert ses portes aux étudiants le 30 octobre 1849. Les présidents et vice-présidents des trois collèges de la Reine constituaient un conseil de gouvernement jusqu'à la fondation de la Queen's University en 1850. Par le biais de l'University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879, la disposition était fait pour la fondation de l'Université royale et la dissolution de l'Université Queen's dans les deux ans à compter de la date de la Charte de l'Université royale. Tous les diplômés et étudiants inscrits de la Queen's University au moment de la dissolution sont devenus des diplômés et des étudiants de la Royal University, et tous les professeurs existants des Queen's Colleges ont continué d'être des professeurs d'université. La charte de l'Université royale a été accordée le 27 avril 1880 et l'Université Queen's a été dissoute le 3 février 1882.

L'Université royale a été dissoute (en 1909) par l'Irish Universities Act, 1908 et deux nouvelles universités ont été créées : l'Université Queen's de Belfast (anciennement Queen's College, Belfast) et l'Université nationale d'Irlande. Cette dernière devait être une université fédérale avec son siège à Dublin et trois collèges constitutifs (University College Dublin, University College Cork et University College Galway). Une nouvelle charte pour le Collège a été publiée le 20 décembre 1908, changeant le nom du Collège en University College, Galway. En 1929, l'University College Galway Act, 1929/Acht Choláiste Phríomh-Scoile na Gaillimhe, 1929 a été promulguée par Oireachtas Éireann.

En vertu de la loi sur les universités/Acht na nOllscoileanna, 1997 (entrée en vigueur le 16 juin 1997), l'University College Galway a été reconstituée en université, sous le nom d'Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh/National University of Ireland, Galway, et est devenue une université constituante de l'Université nationale d'Irlande.

Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh

Sa bhliain 1845 a bunaíodh an Ollscoil, nó Queen's College Galway mar a tugadh uirthi ag an am. Ceann de thrí Choláiste na Ríona a bhí inti a bunaíodh faoi fhorálacha Actes 8 et 9 Victoria, cap. 66, dar teideal "An Act to enable her Majesty to doted new Colleges for the Advancement of Learning in Ireland" (gearrtheideal: The Queen's Colleges (Ireland) Act, 1845). Je mBéal Feirste agus i gCorcaigh a bhí an dá Choláiste eile. Ar 30 Nollaig, 1845, eisíodh Litreacha Paitinne á corprú faoin teideal "Le président, le vice-président et les professeurs du Queens College Galway."

Thosaigh na céad Mic Léinn ar an gColáiste ar 30 Deireadh Fómhair, 1849. Uachtaráin agus Leas-Uachtaráin trí Choláiste na Ríona a bhí ina mBord Gobharnóirí go dtí an bhliain 1850, tráth na ar bunaíodh Socraíodh, faoin University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879, go mbunófaí an Ollscoil Ríoga agus go scoirfí Ollscoil na Ríona dhá bhliain ó dháta Chairt na hOllscoile Ríoga. Rinneadh Céimithe agus Mic Léinn de chuid na hOllscoile Ríoga de Chéimithe agus de Mhic Léinn Mháithreánaithe Choláiste na Ríona, agus iadsan a bhí ina nOllúna i gColáistí na Ríona ag ina am n fág. Eisíodh Cairt na hollscoile Ríoga ar 27 Aibreán, 1880 agus scoireadh Ollscoil na Ríona ar 3 Feabhra, 1882.

Scoireadh an Ollscoil Ríoga sa bhliain 1909 faoin Irish Universities Act, 1908 agus bunaíodh dhá Ollscoil nua: Ollscoil na Ríona, Béal Feirste (Coláiste na Ríona, Béal Feirste mar a bhí roimhe sin, cnaithas hnaithas Ollscoil Ollscoil na Ríona, Béal Feirste le trí Chomhcholáiste (An Coláiste Ollscoile, Baile Átha Cliath, Coláiste na hollscoile, Corcaigh, agus Coláiste na hOllscoile, Gaillimh). Eisíodh Cairt nua don Choláiste ar 20 Nollaig, 1908 a d'athraigh ainm an Choláiste go Coláiste na hollscoile, Gaillimh. Sa bhliain 1929, d'achtaigh Oireachtas Éireann Acht Choláiste Phríomh-Scoile na Gaillimhe, 1929.

Faoi fhorálacha Acht na nOllscoileanna, 1997 (a tháinig i bhfeidhm ar 16 Meitheamh, 1997), athbhunaíodh Coláiste na hOllscoile, Gaillimh mar Ollscoil, faoin teideal Ollscoil na hÉireann, Comhollimh, Galérien d'Irlande di.

Université de Maynooth - Université nationale d'Irlande, Maynooth

En 1795, le Parlement de Grattan adopta une loi créant une académie "pour une meilleure éducation des personnes professant la religion papiste ou catholique romaine". La nouvelle académie, St. Patrick's College, a été fondée à Maynooth. En 1910, le St Patrick's College, par le biais de ses facultés d'arts, de sciences, de philosophie et d'études celtiques, est devenu un collège reconnu de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. En 1966, le Collège ouvre ses portes aux étudiants laïcs et sa population augmente au cours des trois décennies suivantes.

En vertu de la loi sur les universités de 1997, les facultés composant le collège reconnu ont été désignées comme l'Université nationale d'Irlande, Maynooth, une université constituante de l'Université nationale d'Irlande.

Le St Patrick's College continue d'exister en tant qu'entité juridique distincte et comprend le Séminaire national et une université pontificale avec des facultés de droit canon, de philosophie et de théologie. Université nationale d'Irlande, Maynooth occupe un campus séparé au nord de la route Kilcock-Maynooth et continue de partager l'espace sur le campus d'origine de St Patrick.

Collèges reconnus

Collège royal des chirurgiens d'Irlande

Le Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) a été fondé en 1784 par la charte royale du roi George III, pour former des chirurgiens qui, à cette époque, étaient formés séparément des médecins. Après 1886, la formation des médecins et des chirurgiens fusionna et le Collège commença à former des médecins dans sa faculté de médecine. Ces derniers temps, le Collège est devenu une grande école de médecine internationale. Des cours de premier cycle sont dispensés en médecine, en soins infirmiers, en physiothérapie et en pharmacie et des études de troisième cycle sont disponibles dans une gamme de matières médicales, notamment l'anesthésie, la radiologie et la dentisterie.

En 1977, la faculté de médecine du Collège royal des chirurgiens d'Irlande est devenue un collège reconnu de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. En 2003, l'Oireachtas a adopté une loi privée, la RCSI (Charters Amendment) Act, 2003, modifiant les chartes du RCSI pour permettre au Collège de décerner des diplômes. Ces pouvoirs ont été institués en 2010 à la suite d'un examen institutionnel du Collège.

La loi de 2012 sur les qualifications et l'assurance qualité (éducation et formation) a modifié la loi de 1997 sur les universités afin de reconnaître les diplômes RCSI en tant que diplômes du NUI, lorsqu'ils sont approuvés par le NUI et tant que le collège reste un collège reconnu du NUI.

Institut d'administration publique

La genèse de l'Institut d'administration publique est née des délibérations d'un groupe de hauts fonctionnaires qui ont vu la nécessité d'une formation professionnelle moderne pour les membres du secteur public irlandais et pour l'analyse et l'évaluation éclairées de l'élaboration des politiques publiques irlandaises. Issu de ces délibérations, une organisation formelle, l'Institut d'administration publique (IPA), a été fondée en 1957. Elle est devenue une société à responsabilité limitée par garantie en 1963 et est un organisme bénévole à but non lucratif. L'IPA est la seule organisation en Irlande à offrir une gamme complète de services dans l'administration publique - dans la recherche, l'éducation, la formation et les publications.

Dès le départ, l'API était soucieuse de poursuivre les meilleures pratiques. Des cadres supérieurs se sont rendus à l'École nationale d'administration de Paris pour étudier ses méthodes et les raisons de son influence considérable sur les échelons supérieurs de la fonction publique française et tout au long de la vie publique française. Afin de créer une influence similaire sur le secteur public irlandais, une école d'administration publique a été créée au sein de l'IPA, qui a ensuite évolué pour devenir sa division de l'éducation.

L'accréditation externe pour les programmes de premier cycle de l'IPA a été accordée pour la première fois en 1982 et pour ses programmes de troisième cycle en 1994. L'IPA est devenu un collège reconnu de l'Université nationale d'Irlande en 2001. Il propose une gamme de programmes de premier cycle et de troisième cycle à temps partiel. , en se concentrant sur les disciplines pertinentes pour la compréhension et la pratique de la gestion du secteur public. Une caractéristique particulière de l'offre éducative de l'API est la disponibilité de tous ses programmes d'éducation par le biais de l'enseignement à distance. Cela reflète le fait que l'IPA a été un pionnier de l'enseignement à distance en Irlande afin de répondre aux besoins d'un service public géographiquement dispersé. L'IPA est devenu un collège lié de l'University College Dublin en 2011, devenant ensuite un collège reconnu de NUI à partir du 1er septembre 2018.

Université

Uversity a été créé en 2012 par vingt-quatre établissements d'enseignement supérieur irlandais et nord-irlandais dans le but de promouvoir l'Irlande en tant que centre d'enseignement des arts créatifs. Il offrait une maîtrise innovante en processus créatif, un programme qui s'appuyait sur des modules proposés par toutes les institutions partenaires.

Uversity est devenu un collège reconnu de la NUI en juin 2013. NUI a fourni l'accréditation pour la maîtrise en processus créatif et entre 2013 et 2017, trois cohortes d'étudiants ont reçu leur diplôme de maîtrise par le chancelier de la NUI, le Dr Maurice Manning.

Le programme de maîtrise a depuis été interrompu et la direction stratégique d'Uversity a évolué pour aider les apprenants adultes à s'inscrire pour la première fois à un baccalauréat dans des établissements d'enseignement supérieur irlandais sur l'île d'Irlande. Les anciens élèves de l'Uversity&rsquos MA in Creative Process sont des anciens élèves de l'Université nationale d'Irlande et ont accès aux supports et à la documentation pertinents de NUI. Plus d'informations sont disponibles ici.

Collège d'une université constituante

St. Angela's College, Sligo (A College of NUI, Galway)

St. Angela's College of Education, Sligo, a obtenu le statut de Collège reconnu de la NUI en 1978, et a conservé ce statut jusqu'à la fin de 2005. Dans un accord historique entre le Collège et NUI, Galway, le nouveau style 'St . Angela's College, Sligo' est devenu un College of NUI, Galway le 1er janvier 2006.

Fondée en tant que collège de formation pour les professeurs d'économie domestique, St. Angela's a étendu ses services d'éducation bien au-delà de ses attributions initiales. Aujourd'hui, il offre une gamme de programmes universitaires à temps plein et à temps partiel au niveau de la maîtrise, du grade, du diplôme et du certificat.

Les programmes à temps plein comprennent un baccalauréat en économie domestique avec biologie ou éducation religieuse, un baccalauréat en études économiques et sociales et un diplôme / diplôme en sciences infirmières (général) et en sciences infirmières (handicap mental). Les programmes à temps partiel comprennent une maîtrise en éducation, un baccalauréat en sciences infirmières, un baccalauréat en études psychologiques/études sociologiques et politiques et un certain nombre de cours menant à un diplôme et à un certificat.

Le Collège entretient des liens avec l'industrie grâce à sa participation au Graduate Enterprise Program et aux activités de son Food Centre établi pour répondre aux besoins de l'industrie alimentaire dans le Nord-Ouest. Le Collège a une longue histoire d'implication dans des projets transfrontaliers, ainsi que des liens européens et internationaux à travers le programme Socrates de l'UE et l'adhésion à la Fédération internationale d'économie domestique.

Collège national d'art et de design

Le National College of Art and Design de Dublin a été fondé en 1746 en tant que «petite académie de dessin et de peinture» soutenue par la Royal Dublin Society. En 1924, le Collège passa sous le contrôle du ministère de l'Éducation. À partir de 1936, il a été nommé « le Collège national des arts », délivrant ses propres diplômes. En 1971, le Collège a été reconstitué par la loi de l'Oireachtas, lorsque bon nombre de ses fonctions ont été placées sous un conseil nommé par le ministre de l'Éducation.

En juillet 1996, l'année où le collège a célébré son deux cent cinquantième anniversaire, le Sénat de l'Université nationale d'Irlande a accordé le statut de collège reconnu au National College of Art and Design. Le Collège propose des programmes menant à un diplôme et à des programmes de troisième cycle en éducation à l'art et au design, aux beaux-arts et à une gamme de disciplines du design. La première promotion d'étudiants inscrits à des programmes d'études menant à l'obtention de diplômes de l'Université nationale d'Irlande a eu lieu en septembre 1999.

Le Collège a déménagé dans des locaux à Thomas Street, Dublin en 1980. En juillet 1998, une nouvelle école de design et d'industrie a été ouverte sur le campus de Thomas Street, ce qui a réuni toutes les activités du Collège en un seul endroit.

Collège Shannon de gestion hôtelière

Le Shannon College of Hotel Management a été fondé en 1951 par le Dr Brendan O&rsquoRegan pour former des managers pour l'industrie hôtelière irlandaise. Depuis lors, il est devenu le premier collège hôtelier d'Irlande et s'est forgé une réputation internationale d'excellence. La réputation du Collège n'a cessé de croître et s'est répandue dans le monde entier.
Le système éducatif de Shannon est unique. Le Collège croit que l'expérience de l'industrie au niveau opérationnel, de supervision et de gestion des stagiaires est un élément central de la formation en gestion. Le développement de la connaissance des produits, des compétences commerciales et la maîtrise des langues étrangères sont tout aussi importants. Ces quatre éléments sont soigneusement moulés ensemble à Shannon pour former le cours de diplôme Shannon en gestion hôtelière internationale.

Le Sénat a accordé le statut de collège reconnu au Shannon College of Hotel Management en novembre 2000.

Burren College of Art est une petite école d'art indépendante située sur le Wild Atlantic Way sur la côte nord-ouest du comté de Clare en Irlande. Il est situé dans le Burren, une région célèbre pour sa beauté naturelle et son écosystème unique. Nous sommes un collège irlandais à but non lucratif reconnu internationalement, spécialisé dans les approches de premier cycle, de troisième cycle et alternatives à l'enseignement des beaux-arts. Notre programme de maîtrise en beaux-arts est accrédité par l'Université nationale d'Irlande, Galway.


L'histoire de l'Université a commencé en juin 1962 avec la création d'un département technique général de l'Institut ukrainien de l'imprimerie. 250 étudiants ont été acceptés en première année de cours du soir et d'études à distance. Environ 200 étudiants ont été transférés d'autres établissements d'enseignement supérieur vers des filières supérieures d'enseignement à distance.

En janvier 1966, la faculté a été réorganisée dans la branche de l'Institut d'imprimerie ukrainien. Les facultés de mécanique et de technique générale fonctionnaient. 520 students were accepted to the first year of study, among them 90 full-time students. 30 more students were accepted to the second year of full-time study of Mechanical faculty.

In September 1967 the branch became an independent educational establishment - Khmelnytskyi Technological Institute of Domestic Services. 3 faculties: Mechanical, Technological and General-technical were functioning in the university. The general number of students reached 1500 people. 65 teachers and laboratory assistants worked in the 9 departments.

4 faculties were organized in the Institute in July 1969, including 2 general-technical: Khmelnytskyi and Kamianets-Podilskyi. M. Karpylenko was the rector of the institute from July 1969 until December 1974. During this time Preparatory Department and Engineering and economic faculty were opened. 5639 students were studying in different educational modes. 254 teachers worked in 21 departments, with 100 of them having academic degrees and titles.

In December 1974, under the guidance of Prof. R.Silin, Khmelnytskyi Technological Institute of Domestic Services was transformed to multidisciplinary institution of higher education.

In September 1989 the higher educational establishment received the status of the Khmelnitsky Technological Institute. In these years building №4, dormitories №4, 5, modern library, canteen, sports complex, research and experimental building of research sector, 2 living houses had been built, and construction of building № 5 had started. Such faculties, as Business and Law, Radio Electronics, and Faculty of the Work with Foreign Students were opened. The Institute trained specialists for 47 countries. There were Postgraduate and Doctorate studies at the Institute.

In October 1994– the institute was accredited for the IV level and received a status of Technological University of Podillya. The Faculty of Work with Foreign Students was reorganized into Pedagogical faculty. Specialists training within 8 new majors was conducted. More than 11,000 students studied at the university on 1.01.2002, 6400 of them were full-time students, and 1500 were students of pre-university and post-university training. Achievements of the Technological University of Podillya created the possibility of establishing a Mukachevo branch with two faculties: Engineering and Economics, Technology Faculty in 1995. Today it is Mukachevo State University.

By Instruction of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 771, 17.12.2003 and Decree of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine № 261, 26.12.2003, Technological University of Podillya was reorganized in Khmelnytskyi State University in 2003.

In 2004, by Decree of the President of Ukraine № 954/2004, 08.21.2004 and by Decree of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine № 719, 13.09.2004, Khmelnytskyi State University was reorganized to become Khmelnytskyi National University.

There are 9 campus buildings and laboratories at the university, that occupy an area of 58 989 sq. m. The student quarter combines 5 dormitories and proposes 2 378 places.


Informations générales

Undergraduate information: First Year, Second Year, Final Year

International Links: Between second and final year, you can choose to study History on an exchange programme in universities in Europe and North America, including Strasbourg, Leiden, Mainz, and Strathclyde. Many of these programmes are taught through English. The year abroad offfers an excellent opportunity to learn a new language or to develop an existing language competency. It also gives students the change to experience different social, cultural and academic environments.

Career Prospects: The kinds of research, writing and analytical skills you will acquire as a History student are highly valued in the modern workplace. Our recent graduates have gone on to work in a variety of different fields, including journalism, law, archives, public service, arts administration, publishing, teaching, speech writing and management consulting.

Student testimonial: 'I write everyday about everything from murder to rugby matches, but it is the ability to archive, write, interpret and summarise facts, all skills I obtained firstly in NUI Galway through History, which I hope informs and enhances my professionalism.' Luke Henderson, Journalist, Sligo Weekender Newspaper

'Studying history at NUI Galway was a fantastic experience. The wide range of courses provided an excellent grounding in different periods, while also allowing me to specialise in areas I was particularly passionate about such as international relations, development and gender studies.' Aibhlín O&rsquoLeary, BA

Key fact: History students can choose from more than 50 modules, ranging from Irish history to the histories of continental Europe, the United States, Australasia and Africa, and covering every period from the Middle Ages to the end of the twentieth century.

Course outline/programme structure:

  • Ireland and Europe, 1789-1918
  • Europe from Medieval to Modern
  • Skills for Historians

  • One colloquium (research-orientated small group modules)
  • One additional lecture module in each of these time periods: medieval, early modern, and modern
  • One additional lecture module in any time period, of the student's choice
  • Two seminar modules (research-orientated small group modules)
  • Two lecture modules of the student's choice

EMPLACEMENT

Visit our student waiting area on floor 2. It&rsquos a friendly, relaxed area with seats, power points, cover sheets, stapler and pens. We'd be pleased to see you.

History is located on Floor 1 and Floor 2 of Tower 1 in the Arts/Science Building. Tower 1 is located near 'Smokie Joe's' cafe which is just inside the main doors of the Concourse (across from the library).

The hub of History is on Floor 2, where you will find the full-time administrator, Ms Helena Condon, as well as the offices of many staff members. Room numbers in the 400 series are on Floor 2.

Floor 1 is shared with English. You can find some History staff offices on Floor 1, as well as the History seminar rooms. Room numbers in the 300 series are on Floor 1

Our Social Media

Cumann Staire

Staff work closely with students in the Cumann Staire or History Society, winner of the Best Cultural Contribution Award at the NUI Galway Society Awards 2015/16.


Sur

A young man, barely 23 years old, had a vision of inculcating among the youth the qualities of competence and leadership, high moral and spiritual values and development of each individual into a total person. These would be acquired through an educational process guided by the philosophy of Dynamic Filipinism.

This philosophy has as its guiding tenets, the internalizing all that is good in the Filipino people: warmth, hospitality , innovativeness , and a high emotional quotient that has made Filipinos renowned in service oriented industries.”

This young man, Don Mariano Fortunato Jhocson , guided by this vision , founded Colegio Filipino, now NATIONAL UNIVERSITY in August 01, 1900, in Quiapo, City of Manila. It was the first non – sectarian and co – educational institution then. There were only a handful of students at that time in the fledgling School, and they were in the elementary and secondary (High School) levels. Don Mariano, in order to help the school grow, was teacher, director and janitor rolled into one.

In a short span of 5 years, he offered courses in Business – bookkeeping and accounting, convinced that thus armed, his students would be financially secure and respectable after graduation. This led to the changing of the name to Colegio Mercantil , awarding the diploma of Perito Mercantil. A short time later, the Philippine Law School was opened with the collaboration of the Lacson brothers. Don Mariano saw the dire need for training the youth for leadership and responsibility. He firmly believed that the discipline of Law would turn out men and women who would eventually be advocates for Philippine self government.

In 1916, the Board of Trustees changed the name from Colegio Mercantil to National Academy. The growth of the Academy was continuous, added Liberal Arts which became the gateway to other disciplines that followed.

After 21 years of educational service, on January 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees applied for and secured permission from the Department of Public Instruction to change the name of the National Academy to NATIONAL UNIVERSITY. On that same day, the University also installed Senator Camilo Osias, one of the most respected and outstanding Filipino educators as President of the University.

Thereafter, the Colleges of Education and Commerce were opened in the same year. During the following years, the Colleges of Pharmacy and Dentistry were opened in 1922. The College of Engineering, offering initially Civil Engineering opened in 1925 and the Normal School in 1930. Sanitary Engineering was initially offered in 1930.

From July, 1945 its facilities have since continuously expanded and the following disciplines were added – Bachelor degrees in Chemical, Electrical, Industrial, Mechanical Engineering and Architecture and Arts. Master in Sanitary Engineering was also organized.

Responding to the needs of industry and modern technology, the University started offering the following courses: Computer Science in 1990, Marine Engineering and in 1994 Computer Engineering and Electronics and Communications Engineering. College of Nursing was offered in 2004, Hotel and Restaurant Management in 2008 and Information Technology in 2009.

On January 01, 1998, a disastrous fire razed four buildings of the University – the Main Building, Law and Commerce Building, Elementary Building and the Graduate School Building. The University was able to re-open its doors after three weeks of unrelenting restoration work.

In the last quarter of year 2008, the SM Group of Companies acquired majority ownership of the National University. The all out support of the SM Group strengthened the university as higher institution with the building of new infrastructure, improved and upgraded laboratory all of which are focused in academic excellence.

Today, the University is engaged in a continuous modernization and upgrading program for its facilities, faculty and sports development. Our new University infrastructure is an 8-storey modern design building with two units of escalators and four units of elevators.

NATIONAL UNIVERSITY is a founding member of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) and is a pioneer of the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities (PACU). Its international affiliations and memberships include the Association of Southeast Asia Higher Institutions of Learning (ASAIHL) and the International Association of Universities (IAU).


National University - History

1895 - 1945 Creation of modern higher education system

Korean Emperor Gojong establishes a modern higher education system to promote the nation’s independence.

  • 1895 Legal Training School and Hansung Normal School are established
  • 1899 Medical School is established
  • 1901 Schools of Agriculture, Commerce, and Engineering are established
  • 1904 The Nursing Education Division of Great Han Medical Center is established

1946 - 1953 Founded as the premier national university

Seoul National University becomes the first comprehensive university of independent Korea, founded with the primary aim of producing intellectual elites who would lead the newly liberated country.

  • Oct. 15, 1946 Seoul National University opens with 9 Colleges and 1 Graduate School: Colleges of Agriculture and Forestry, Commerce, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Medicine and the Graduate School
  • June 25, 1950 Korean War breaks out during the student registration period
  • Feb. 19, 1951 Operated classes through the Busan Wartime Nations University
  • Apr. 20, 1953 College of Arts divided into the College of Fine Arts and the College of Music
  • Sept. 18, 1953 The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Administration Office returns to Seoul

1954 - 1960 Reconstruction after the Korean War

Aided by countries all over the world, the University makes a rapid recovery, propelled by the Korean people’s collective desires for a strong education for the young generation.

  • 1954 - 1962 Minnesota Project for reconstruction and development of Seoul National University provides 9,791,000 USD of financial aid, and 218 SNU professors are sent to universities in the US for training. Most of the aid is given in the critical fields of agriculture, engineering, medicine, and public administration
  • Jan. 13, 1959 10 new departments are created, including the Department of Korean Music and the Department of International Relations
  • Apr. 19, 1960 Six students are shot by the police in the April 19 Revolution
  • May 23, 1960 The 1 st SNU student council is organized

1961 - 1974 A University Shaping the Future of Its People

By recruiting young, promising professors and outstanding students, SNU establishes itself as 'Korea's flagship university'

  • 1961 - 1973 Professional Graduate Schools newly established or expanded: Graduate School of Judicial Research & Training (1962-1970), Graduate School of Education (1963-1975), Graduate School of Business (1965-1975), Graduate School of Mass Communication (1967-1975), Graduate School of Environmental Studies (1973-), Graduate Schools of Public Administration and Health (expanded)
  • Apr. 15, 1968 SNU’s’ 10 year Plan for Comprehensivization’
  • Feb. 12, 1969 Seoul National University Alumni Association established
  • Mar. 21, 1970 Gwanak Mountain selected as the site of the new SNU campus
  • Apr. 08, 1970 SNU Establishment Act
  • Apr. 02, 1971 Construction of the newly integrated campus in Gwanak initiated

1975 - 1986 Centralizing the campus in Gwanak

SNU merges its multiple campuses into three main locations: Gwanak main campus, Yeongeon medical campus, and Suwon agricultural campus.

  • Jan. 21, 1975 Move to Gwanak campus
  • Feb. 28, 1975 Education units reformed: 13 colleges, 1 graduate school, and 6 professional graduate schools restructured as 3 colleges for general studies, 12 colleges for specialized studies, and 3 professional graduate schools.
  • Mar. 05, 1975 The first entrance ceremony on Gwanak campus
  • May 15, 1975 Central Library opens
  • Jan. 10, 1980 Campus integration complete with the moving of the College of Engineering to Gwanak campus

1987 - 1999 Achieving Democracy

After a long struggle for democracy, the university becomes normalized, leading to a great increase in the number of students and faculty members.

  • Sept. 26, 1984 SNU student council re-established
  • Jan. 21, 1987 SNU Long-term Development Plan (1987

2000 - 2010 Becoming a world-class research university

SNU implements a long-term plan to further strengthen its undergraduate education and to become a research-oriented university.

  • 2002 SNU listed in the top 30 of the Science Citation Index (SCI)
  • Apr. 2003 Balanced Regional Admission approved for 2005
  • Sept. 23, 2003 The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences moved to Gwanak campus
  • 2005 SNU listed in the top 100 universities according to QS World University Rankings
  • Oct. 29, 2007 The ‘SNU Long-term Development Plan’ (2007

2011 - Becoming a Leading University through Corporatization

Transitioning from a government institution to an autonomous corporation, SNU begins its journey to become a world-leading university.


ANU has a huge variety of support services, programs and activities to enhance your student experience.

ANU is Australia's national university and has a unique history among Australian universities. Learn about our history, and how it continues to influence the work we do here today on the page below. Visit Heritage management to learn more about our well preserved heritage and principles.

The Hon Julie Bishop became ANU Chancellor

The Hon Julie Bishop became Chancellor of ANU on 1 January 2020.

Professor Brian P. Schmidt became Vice-Chancellor

Professor Brian P. Schmidt AC FAA FRS became Vice-Chancellor on 1 January 2016.

The Director's Residence is partially restored

The Mt Stromlo Heritage Trail is launched. The Director's Residence is partially restored.

Bushfire threatens Siding Spring Observatory

On 13 January 2013, the facility was threatened by a huge bushfire and firestorm. Eighteen staff were evacuated to Coonabarabran. Three buildings were destroyed: 'The Lodge' accommodation used by visiting researchers, the Director's Cottage and the Fire Station. Bushfire prevention measures had been implemented and were credited with the protection of the telescopes. Since this time ANU has been undertaking a program of rebuilding at the site, restoring much of its lost functionality. Several of the damaged buildings are now managed as ruins and stand as a stark reminder of the fire. Optical astronomy is no longer undertaken at this site, however recent development of the site's manufacturing and industrial capabilities ensure the site is a thriving and world class research centre.

Nobel Prize in Physics

Mt Stromlo's Professor Brian Schmidt and his research partners are awarded the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics.

Partnership to build the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile

Mt Stromlo astronomers and engineers join an international partnership to build the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile.


Histoire

General History Resources

American Experience Access to PBS series about American history. Many programs are available online. American Historical Association As the professional organization for historians, the AHA advocates for the profession and provides information, awards and grants, and resources for educators. Archiving Early America This site provides historical documents from 18th century America. A Biography of America This site was designed to be a self-contained college-level history course. Resources include access to videos covering 26 topics, and content mirroring that of most U.S. history text books. Center for History and New Media Links to general history resources as well as specific events. Discover History The National Park Service offers links to Features of People, Places & Stories and Features of Preservation, Guidance & Grants. History & Social Studies This site from the National Endowment for the Humanities provides lesson plans about American history. History Collection University of Pennsylvania Libraries' links to resources with text archives and image sites. National History Day Provides resources for educators. National Museum of American History Access to information about the museum's extensive holdings as well as online exhibits. Naval History & Heritage Command Offers information about the "history, legacy and traditions of the United States Navy." U.S. Army Center of Military History Features information about the Army throughout American history.

Histories of Government Agencies

National Archives History This page provides a brief history of NARA along with links to a timeline, a list of Archivists of the United States, a history of the National Archives Building in Washington, DC., and Online Resources on the History of the National Archives. A Brief History: The U.S. Department of Labor A look at the functions of the Department of Labor since its founding in 1913. The FBI: History Links to such topics as Famous Cases & Criminals, Ten Most Wanted Fugitives History, and Hall of Honor. Jefferson's Legacy: A Brief History of the Library of Congress Digitized version of the book by John Y. Cole. NASA History Program This office was organized shortly after NASA's creation to preserve the history of this agency's accomplishments. Postal History Tracks the history of the United States Postal Service from 1775 with links to Stamps and Postcards, Postal People, Photo Galleries, and more. Supreme Court Historical Society Founded in 1974, the Society is "dedicated to the collection and preservation of the history of the Supreme Court of the United States." U.S. Census Bureau History Provides many resources, including an agency history, programs, and an explanation of the "72-Year Rule." U.S. Department of State Office of the Historian This site features Historical Documents, Department History, Key Milestones, and Guide to Countries. United States Senate: Art & History Access to such resources as Origins & Development, Exhibits, and Senate Stories.

Selected Specific Topics

The Declaration of Independence Includes "The Declaration of Independence: A History," "The Stylistic Artistry of the Declaration of Independence," the Virginia Declaration of Rights, and links to other web sites. From Revolution to Reconstruction and Beyond A site of the Department of Alfa-Informatica at the University of Groningen dedicated to the pre-World War I history of America. The Star-Spangled Banner This site from the Smithsonian National Museum of American History is an online resource about the "flag that inspired the National Anthem." Meeting of Frontiers This site focuses on the experiences of the United States and Russia in exploring, developing, and settling their frontiers, and the meeting of those frontiers in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest. The project resulted from a collaboration between the Library of Congress, the Russian State Library, and the National Library of Russia. First Person Narratives of the American South, 1860-1920 This site features a compilation of printed texts from the libraries at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The documents include diaries, autobiographies, memoirs, travel accounts, and ex-slave narratives. Exploring the Life and History of the "Buffalo Soldiers" Published in The Record in March 1998, this article details a history of the United States Colored Troops. The Valley of the Shadow: Living the Civil War in Pennsylvania and Virginia This project interweaves the histories of two communities on either side of the Mason-Dixon line during the era of the American Civil War. Great Chicago Fire An online exhibition produced by the Chicago Historical Society and Northwestern University Information Technology (NUIT) to recall one of the most famous events in American history. Run for Your Lives! The Johnstown Flood of 1889 The National Park Service's web site provides lesson plans for teaching about "the most devastating flood in the nation's history." Alexander Graham Bell Family Papers Part of the Library of Congress' Manuscript Division, this site contains correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, sketches, and photographs. The Titanic in Documents and Photographs An article in the NARA publication The Record in March 1998 highlights the records of the Titanic in the National Archives. Rescuing Records in the "Cradle of American Labor" Information about the Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives, which collects documents related to the history of labor and working people in New York. Oral Histories of the Civil Rights Movement Transcripts and audio of interviews with "people that participated, in small and large ways." The Sixties A PBS web site dedicated to the most controversial decade of the twentieth century. The Wars for Viet Nam This site was developed around the course materials for Robert Brigham's senior seminar on the Viet Nam War at Vassar College. Apollo 11 Mission The Lunar and Planetary Institute provides information about the first manned landing on the moon.

Photographs & Audio Recordings

    : Photographs from the FSA-OWI, 1935-1945 : Vaudeville & Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 : Historic American Building Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey : 1850-1920 : Selections from the Federal Theater Project, 1935-1939 : Recordings from World War I and the Election of 1920

This Day in History

Digital Documents

African American Women Writers of the 19th Century This digital collection of some 52 published works by 19th-century black women writers is part of the Digital Schomburg Collection at the New York Public Library. Avalon Project Yale Law School's Avalon Project includes digital documents from ancient times through the 21st century. A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation The Library of Congress "brings together online the records and acts of Congress from the Continental Congress and Constitutional Convention through the 43rd Congress, including the first three volumes of the Congressional Record, 1873-75." Documenting the American South This site is a collection of sources on Southern history, literature and culture from the colonial period through the first decades of the 20th century. Historical Publications of the United States Commission on Civil Rights The Thurgood Marshall Law Library provides access to the historical record of civil rights in the United States. Making of America A digital library of primary sources in American social history from the antebellum period through reconstruction. Nuremberg Trials Project Harvard Law School Library provides a digital document collection of the Nuremberg Trials. Our Documents Digital versions of 100 milestone documents of American history. U.S. Historical Documents Transcriptions of major documents relating to American history, from the Magna Carta to President Obama's 2012 State of the Union address. Virginia Center for Digital History Based at the University of Virginia, VCDH projects include many online digital history initiatives.

This page was last reviewed on August 15, 2016.
Contactez-nous avec des questions ou des commentaires.


National Normal University

The National Normal University was a school established to train teachers in the nineteenth century. It was located in Lebanon, Ohio. The institution first opened its doors as the Southwestern Normal School on November 24, 1855. Throughout the years, the school changed its name several times. In 1870, the Southwestern Normal School became the National Normal School, and then in 1881, it became the National Normal University. In 1907, the institution changed its name to Lebanon University.

In the second half of the nineteenth century, the school experienced a significant amount of success. From the beginning, the school's enrollment was high. Students were charged a tuition of ten dollars for each eleven-week session that they attended. By 1860, approximately 375 students were enrolled. By the late 1880s, two thousand students attended classes at the university.

Unfortunately, the school suffered from financial difficulties by the early years of the twentieth century. Lebanon University closed in 1917 because of bankruptcy. Eventually, it merged with Wilmington College. By the time that the university closed in 1917, it claimed approximately eighty thousand graduates, who were called "Normalites."

The National Normal University illustrates the fact that Ohioans were placing more importance on education by the mid-nineteenth century. As more and more schools opened across Ohio, communities wanted to hire teachers who had additional training beyond the public school system. Institutions such as the National Normal University provided that additional training and began to develop education as a profession.


A History of Stanford

Stanford University was founded in 1885 by California senator Leland Stanford and his wife, Jane, “to promote the public welfare by exercising an influence in behalf of humanity and civilization.”

A portrait of Senator Leland Stanford, Jane Lathrop Stanford, Leland Stanford Jr. taken in 1878. (Image credit: Stanford University Archives)

When railroad magnate and former California Gov. Leland Stanford and his wife, Jane Lathrop Stanford, lost their only child, Leland, Jr., to typhoid in 1884, they decided to build a university as the most fitting memorial, and deeded to it a large fortune that included the 8,180-acre Palo Alto stock farm that became the campus. The campus is located within the traditional territory of the Muwekma Ohlone Tribe. The Stanfords made their plans just as the modern research university was taking form.

Leland Stanford Junior University – still its legal name – opened Oct. 1, 1891.

The Stanfords and founding President David Starr Jordan aimed for their new university to be nonsectarian, co-educational and affordable, to produce cultured and useful graduates, and to teach both the traditional liberal arts and the technology and engineering that were already changing America.

Their vision took shape on the oak-dotted fields of the San Francisco Peninsula as a matrix of arcades and quadrangles designed for expansion and the dissolving of barriers between people, disciplines and ideas.

The Boston firm Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge collaborated with Frederick Law Olmsted to develop the university’s final architectural plan, with its distinctive arches, quadrangles and arcades. (Image credit: Stanford University Archives)

From the start, stewardship of the founders’ extraordinary land gift has helped support university endeavors, and has made room for a multiplicity of institutes, schools and laboratories that cross-fertilize each other with innovations that have changed the world. Computer time-sharing, the first isolation of highly purified stem cells and the first synthesis of biologically active DNA, among many other breakthroughs, all originated at Stanford.

The early years were difficult, however, as even the Stanfords’ wealth proved inadequate to their vision. After her husband’s death, Jane Stanford kept the fledgling university open through her leadership. The 1906 earthquake dealt a further blow, killing two people and destroying several campus buildings, some so new they had never been occupied.

University benefactor and trustee Herbert Hoover, future U.S. president and member of Stanford’s Pioneer Class of 1895, professionalized university operations in the 1920s and helped to put Stanford on a sound financial footing. He founded an institute to collect global political material – today’s Hoover Institution Library and Archives – and led the creation of the Graduate School of Business, both now world leaders in their respective fields.

Engineering Professor Frederick Terman, dubbed the “Father of Silicon Valley,” left his stamp by encouraging Stanford students not only to develop but also to commercialize their ideas. In 1937, physicists Russell Varian, Sigurd Varian and William Hansen developed the klystron ultra-high-frequency vacuum tube, paving the way for commercial air navigation, satellite communication and high-energy particle accelerators. In 1939, graduate students William Hewlett and David Packard developed the precision audio oscillator, first low-cost method of measuring audio frequencies, and spun it into the company now known as HP. In 1951, the university developed its Stanford Research Park to house firms led by such innovators. Varian Associates became the first tenants.

The Varian brothers and William Hansen with the klystron. (Image credit: Stanford University Archives)

The post-World War II era saw many research advances. In 1959, Stanford Medical School moved from San Francisco to the main Palo Alto campus. The 1950s also saw planning of today’s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, managed under license from the U.S. Department of Energy and opened in 1962. The first website in North America went online at SLAC 29 years later. Advances in particle physics developed at SLAC led to the Linac Coherent Light Source, whose ability to capture ultra-fast images of chemical changes at atomic scale has made it a global destination for pharmaceutical research. The Cold War also gave rise to “the Dish,” the radio telescope that is a familiar landmark in the foothills behind campus. The hill housing the Dish is a conservation area open to the public, and more than 2,000 people run or hike “Dish Hill” each day.

In the foothills above campus, the Dish is a radio telescope built in 1966 and still in use today. The area’s trails are used by more than 500,000 visitors a year. (Image credit: Alex Webb)

Deep in the foothills beyond the Dish, a much smaller structure yielded epochal discoveries when it became home to the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (SAIL), founded by John McCarthy and Les Earnest in 1965. SAIL researchers devised the first interactive system for computer design, as well as pioneering work on computer vision, robotics, laser printing and automated assembly. The world’s first office desktop computer displays appeared at SAIL in 1971.

In the 1970s, Stanford sought new ways to transform society and preserve the environment. It severed its links to classified defense research and forged new paths for service and stewardship. Stanford reduced its dependence on the automobile by adding campus housing and the free Marguerite shuttle, named after a 19th-century horse that pulled a jitney between campus and Palo Alto. The Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve was designated in 1973 to help preserve the green “lungs” of the Peninsula and access to the biological data compiled there that helped establish the field of population genetics.

The multidisciplinary Stanford Humanities Center, first of its kind in the nation and still the largest, opened in 1980 to advance research into the historical, philosophical, literary, artistic and cultural dimensions of the human experience. At this and 30 other humanities-related centers on campus, scholars ranging from distinguished undergraduates to mid-career fellows create new understandings of the world and humanity’s place in it.

From the start, Stanford has valued experiential education. Generous funding helps its undergraduates of diverse economic backgrounds to enjoy parity of experience and opportunity. In 2015, 85 percent of students received some form of financial assistance and 78 percent of Stanford undergraduates graduated debt-free. More than 1,000 undergraduates conduct faculty-directed research and honors projects each year, while 1,000 take part in public-service projects and 1,000 study overseas, all without regard for ability to pay. Since 1992, all undergraduates are guaranteed four years of on-campus housing, in keeping with Stanford’s emphasis on residential education and the experience of a small liberal arts college within the matrix of a large research university.

A significant physical transformation followed the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which again challenged the university’s resilience and vision. Stanford’s main Green Library renovated its heavily damaged west wing as the Bing Wing, while the similarly damaged Stanford Art Museum reopened in 1999 as the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts.

In 1985, the B. Gerald Cantor Rodin Sculpture Garden opened as the largest collection of Rodin bronzes outside Paris. It became the nexus for a world-class collection of 20th- and 21st-century sculpture, nearly all of it freely accessible to the public. Today, the museum and sculpture garden are part of a Stanford arts district that includes the Bing Concert Hall, the McMurtry Building for experiential arts learning and the acclaimed Anderson Collection of 20th-century American painting.

The Anderson Collection, which opened in 2014, is one of the world’s most outstanding private assemblies of modern and contemporary American art. (Image credit: Alex Webb)

The James H. Clark Center for Biomedical Engineering and Sciences opened in 2003 as the geographic and intellectual nexus between the schools of Engineering and Medicine and the home of Bio-X, a pioneering interdisciplinary biosciences institute led by Professor Carla Shatz. Its collaboration-friendly architecture set the tone for future building, furthering the interdisciplinarity that became a hallmark of university President John Hennessy’s tenure. The environmentally sensitive construction seen in the Clark Center, the Science and Engineering Quad, the School of Medicine and elsewhere fulfills the university’s deep commitment to sustainability in research, teaching and institutional practice. In 2015, Stanford Energy System Innovations’ electric heat recovery system joined the university’s solar and geothermal power procurement initiatives to reduce campus emissions by roughly 68 percent.

The Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford opened in the School of Engineering in 2005, bringing students and faculty from radically different backgrounds together to develop innovative, human-centered solutions to real-world challenges. Using techniques from design and engineering, the institute, known on campus as the d.school, instills creative confidence and draws students beyond the boundaries of traditional academic disciplines.

Development campaigns of unprecedented scope carry forward the Stanford family’s vision. The 2000 Campaign for Undergraduate Education raised $1 billion, while the Stanford Challenge concluded in 2012 after raising $6.2 billion, then the largest fundraising campaign undertaken by a university, to fund bold new initiatives. Meanwhile, the $1 billion Campaign for Stanford Medicine is rebuilding Stanford’s two hospitals for adults and children to advance the mission of precision health.

During 2016, Stanford celebrated its 125th year of transformational impact. A revamped Roble Gym opened with a dedicated “arts gym” to help make art an integral part of the student experience. “Old Chem,” one of Stanford’s first buildings, received new life as the Sapp Center for Science Teaching and Learning. The School of Humanities and Sciences launched the Humanities Core, a new certificate and minor program providing undergraduates a structured pathway to explore fundamental questions of human existence. That year, Stanford also expanded its Bing Overseas Studies Program, enhanced undergraduate research opportunities and played a pioneering role in exploring how best to use online technologies to expand access to high-quality education.

The Sapp Center for Science Teaching and Learning has reimagined the historic “Old Chem” building with an eye toward the interdisciplinary future of science research and education. (Image credit: L.A. Cicero)

Stanford University today comprises seven schools and 18 interdisciplinary institutes with more than 16,000 students, 2,100 faculty and 1,800 postdoctoral scholars. Stanford is an international institution, enrolling students from all 50 U.S. states and 91 other countries. It is also an athletics powerhouse, with 900 current student-athletes and a history of 128 national titles and 22 consecutive Learfield Sports Directors’ Cups, awarded to the top intercollegiate athletics program in the nation.

At the 2016 Global Entrepreneurship Summit, hosted by Stanford, President Barack Obama praised the university as “a place that celebrates our ability as human beings to discover and learn and to build, to question, to reimagine, to create new ways to connect and work with each other.”


Histoire

Harvard University continues to be the best place in the world to study history, with rival institutions the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford close behind. The National University of Singapore (NUS) is the biggest climber in the top 20, up nine places to share 15th with the University of Tokyo and the University of Toronto.

The QS World University Rankings by Subject are based upon academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact (click here to read the full methodology).

Use the interactive table below to filter the rankings by location, and click on individual universities for more information. Registered users will also be able to use the site’s Compare function to see facts and statistics about multiple universities side-by-side.

Interested in other courses besides history? The QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019 cover 48 different subjects. Click here to see the full list.

Harvard University continues to be the best place in the world to study history, with rival institutions the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford close behind. The National University of Singapore (NUS) is the biggest climber in the top 20, up nine places to share 15th with the University of Tokyo and the University of Toronto.

The QS World University Rankings by Subject are based upon academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact (click here to read the full methodology).

Use the interactive table below to filter the rankings by location, and click on individual universities for more information. Registered users will also be able to use the site’s Compare function to see facts and statistics about multiple universities side-by-side.

Interested in other courses besides history? The QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019 cover 48 different subjects. Click here to see the full list.


Voir la vidéo: Seoul National University. Comment y rentrer. 서울대학교 (Juillet 2022).


Commentaires:

  1. Kazrarr

    Au lieu de critiquer d'écrire les variantes.

  2. Nachman

    It is remarkable, very useful phrase

  3. Todal

    Être en désaccord

  4. Walter

    Chez toi une mentalité abstraite



Écrire un message