Podcasts sur l'histoire

McCormick, Cyrus - Histoire

McCormick, Cyrus - Histoire



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Homme d'affaires-Inventeur
(1809-1884)

Cyrus Hall McCormick est né le 15 février 1809 dans le comté de Rockbridge, en Virginie. Bien qu'il ait eu peu d'éducation formelle, il a été fortement influencé par son père qui a essayé en vain de perfectionner une faucheuse mécanique. En 1831, le fils réussit à construire un tel appareil.

Cependant, ce n'est qu'en 1834 qu'il obtient un brevet, face à la menace des inventeurs concurrents. Naturellement, McCormick a gardé sa moissonneuse hors du marché pendant plusieurs années, afin d'apporter des améliorations au mécanisme; et même lorsqu'il l'a introduit sur le marché, il a concentré sa production dans une seule usine à Chicago.

Lorsque le brevet a finalement expiré en 1848, il a de nouveau été confronté à de nombreux rivaux. Néanmoins, il a réussi à améliorer, puis à maintenir, sa position sur le marché.

Voyageant à travers le monde, il a vigoureusement promu et démontré son produit. Une exposition à l'exposition Crystal Palace à Londres (1851) s'est avérée particulièrement utile pour augmenter les ventes.

En plus de ses nombreux intérêts commerciaux dans tout le pays, il était particulièrement actif au sein du parti démocrate de l'Illinois. Il s'est également beaucoup intéressé à l'église presbytérienne tout au long de sa vie et y a apporté de nombreuses contributions. McCormick est décédé à Chicago le 13 mai 1884.


Une TRÈS brève histoire de la zone de nature sauvage du McCormick Tract

Tout a commencé en 1778 lorsque Robert McCormick a émigré d'Irlande et s'est installé à Rockbridge Co. Virginia. Son fils Cyrus Hall McCormick à l'âge de 22 ans a étudié les dossiers de son père sur les moissonneurs ratés et en 1831, il a démontré avec succès sa moissonneuse à un petit groupe d'agriculteurs et en 1834 a reçu son premier brevet sur la moissonneuse. Il a continué à travailler sur la conception jusqu'à ce que, en 1847, Cyrus s'installe à Chicago et ouvre une usine de moissonneuses, qui est devenue The McCormick Company.

Cette usine principale connut un grand succès mais le 8 octobre 1871 elle brûla avec le reste de Chicago. Cyrus a pris l'initiative de reconstruire la ville et, un an plus tard, a ouvert le centre des congrès McCormick Place pour montrer au monde que Chicago s'était remise de l'incendie. Il a continué à développer la McCormick Co. jusqu'à sa mort en 1884.

Cyrus Rice McCormick, le fondateur du McCormick Tract est né le 16 mai 1859. Adolescent, Cyrus a changé son deuxième prénom en Hall après son père. À l'âge de 25 ans, alors qu'il était à Princeton, il a pris la présidence de l'entreprise de son père immédiatement après la mort de son père.

Les 25 dernières années des années 1800 ont vu de nombreuses entreprises développer des moissonneuses et des moissonneuses avec de nombreuses poursuites. Enfin en 1902, à la suggestion de JP Morgan, les cinq plus grandes, John Deere Co., la Deering Co., la Milwaukee Harvester Co., Champion et la McCormick Co., se sont regroupées sous le nom d'International Harvester Co.. Une grande partie de cette fusion a été réalisée par un brillant jeune avocat, qui représentait la McCormick Co., Cyrus Bentley. Cyrus H. McCormick à 36 ans, est devenu président tandis que Charles Deering a pris la relève en tant que président du conseil d'administration. En 1918, Cyrus est devenu président du conseil d'administration avec son frère Harold comme président.

Robert McCormick a eu l'idée de la faucheuse,

Cyrus H McCormick a développé l'idée en une invention commercialisable et a commencé sa production, et

Son fils, Cyrus Hall McCormick, fondateur du McCormick Tract, est devenu l'industriel.

Découverte et formation du McCormick Tract

L'histoire du McCormick Tract a commencé en 1884. C'était l'année où l'aîné Cyrus est décédé et son fils Cyrus est devenu président de McCormick Co. et a fait son premier voyage de camping. Pendant son séjour à Princeton, McCormick a rencontré un professeur nommé Dr William Gray, qui était un passionné de plein air. Il avait un camp permanent sur une île à Bayfield Wi. et avait invité de nombreuses personnes à être ses invités au fil des ans, y compris les McCormick, qui sont devenus de grands amis avec lui.

Le Dr Gray allait souvent camper partout aux États-Unis. Il sélectionnait la zone en recherchant sur une carte un endroit avec deux ou trois cours d'eau rapprochés avec des ruisseaux coulant dans des directions opposées et de nombreux petits lacs. Ces zones offraient généralement d'excellentes aires de camping avec un gibier abondant.

Un jour, en 1884, le Dr Gary invita Cyrus à l'accompagner dans l'un de ses voyages de camping. Avant de partir, il a rencontré la mère de Cyrus et a fait envoyer certains des effets personnels de Cyrus pour que Cyrus se sente chez lui. Cyrus, le Dr Gray et un autre compagnon ont voyagé vers le nord en train jusqu'à Champion puis en guide indien vers le nord en remontant un vieux sentier indien le long de la rivière Peshekee. Lorsqu'ils atteignirent le camping au bord d'un lac sans nom, Cyrus fut surpris de voir une grande tente blanche, des lits avec des draps et un assortiment de ses propres effets personnels.

Au cours des années suivantes, Cyrus et son avocat Cyrus Bentley ont commencé à fréquenter cette région. Ils venaient installer un camp de base temporaire sur une petite île rocheuse de ce lac. Lors d'un de ces voyages, ils étaient assis sur l'île en regardant une haute falaise rocheuse et ont décidé qu'il devrait être nommé la forteresse. Plus tard, ils ont nommé le lac d'après cette falaise en l'appelant Fortress Lake.

À la fin des années 1800, Peter White, J.M. Longyear et d'autres dirigeants de la communauté Marquette ont décidé de créer un club exclusif dans les montagnes Huron. Ils l'ont appelé le Huron Mountains Shooting and Fishing Club et ont promu l'adhésion à Detroit et à Chicago. Cyrus Bentley a été approché et a décidé de se joindre en 1902. Au cours des nombreux voyages à Fortress Lake, Bentley qui était un randonneur passionné, a pensé qu'il serait formidable de construire un sentier de Fortress Lake Island au Huron Mountain Club. McCormick a accepté et a décidé de poursuivre l'achat de la propriété. Il envoya un éclaireur, Edwin McLean, qui évalua la région et pensa qu'elle pourrait être achetée pour environ 5 $/acre. Sachant que le prix du terrain serait élevé si le vendeur connaissait la richesse de M. McCormick, il a demandé à sa secrétaire, F. A. Stewert , de contacter un agent foncier à Marquette, W.E. Lewis, pour agir comme son agent immobilier. Lorsqu'il a approché les propriétaires fonciers, M. Lewis s'est vu proposer un prix ferme de 10 $/acre. Il s'est avéré que l'agent foncier des propriétaires, John M. Longyear , avait entendu dire que M. McCormick était intéressé à acheter le terrain et n'était pas intéressé à traiter avec M. Lewis. Il avait donc élevé le prix du terrain. McCormick a été forcé d'informer M. Longyear que M. Lewis était son agent et en septembre 1904, McCormick a acheté 151,75 acres pour 3,16 $/acre. Cela couvrait l'extrémité ouest du lac Fortress et englobait l'île.

Au cours des 16 années suivantes, 13 achats distincts ont établi le territoire à 2933 acres. Le premier bâtiment construit était la cabane de la bibliothèque sur l'île en 1904. La majorité des autres bâtiments de l'île datent de 1906 ou 1907. À cette époque, une expansion a eu lieu sur la rive du lac et a été bien développée dans les années 1930.

La cabane de M. Bentley dans les monts Huron a été achevée en 1905. La même année, le sentier reliant le campement de l'île Fortress à la cabane Bentley sur le lac Supérieur a été achevé.

Fortress Lake est devenu un endroit très fréquenté avec des chalets en construction, des équipes travaillant sur le développement de sentiers, y compris des promenades le long des bords de Fortress et de son voisin Bulldog Lake. L'un des travaux les moins appréciés consistait à draguer le canal entre les lacs Fortress et Bulldog afin que les bateaux puissent facilement passer entre les deux. Lorsque le terrain a été acheté par McCormick, il y avait un grand barrage de castors à l'extrémité est du lac Fortress, suivi de ruisseaux marécageux et d'autres petits barrages de castors menant au lac Bulldog. L'équipe de McCormick a construit le canal de 1900 pieds ici entre 1908 et 1916. Ils l'ont dragué puis ont enfoncé des poteaux et attaché des fils à ces poteaux. Les bateaux pourraient-ils être tirés à la main à travers ce canal. Les poteaux et les attaches de fil restent dans le canal aujourd'hui.

Une autre des nombreuses tâches était le développement du réseau de sentiers autour des lacs et du sentier Bentley du lac Fortress à la cabane de M. Bentley sur le lac Supérieur.

En novembre 1907, Cyrus McCormick a décidé de nommer officiellement le lac White Deer Lake d'après un cerf albinos que lui et d'autres invités avaient fréquemment vu.

Octobre 1935 fut la dernière visite de Cyrus sur le site. Il est décédé le 2 juin 1936 à l'âge de 77 ans. La propriété de la colonie est allée à un fils, Gordon McCormick, qui a commencé un projet de rénovation de tous les bâtiments. Cela a continué dans les années 40. 1947 était la dernière visite de Gordon dans la colonie. Il est mort en 1967 et a légué le règlement à l'USDA.

Ces informations sont tirées exclusivement des deux références suivantes :

Superior Heartland Une histoire de Backwoods Vol. I Livre II de C. Fred Rydholm publié en privé par C. Fred Rydholm , 221 Lakewood Lane , Marquette MI 49855 , 1989.

Une histoire de l'utilisation par la famille McCormick du camp de White Deer Lake, forêt expérimentale McCormick, Baraga, comtés de Marquette, Michigan. Soumis à : USDA Forest Service, Ottawa National Forest , Ironwood , Michigan , 49938 . Soumis par : Mid-American Research Center , Loyola University , Chicago , Illinois , 60611 . Enquêteur principal, Theodore J. Karamanski .

"Mes remerciements à Tom Foye pour m'avoir laissé de l'espace sur son beau site Web. Il a très bien dépeint la région du McCormick Tract. Si vous souhaitez en savoir plus sur l'histoire de ce lieu unique, j'ai écrit un livre sur l'origine, la vie et la disparition de 1906 jusqu'à son acquisition par le US Forest Service en 1968. Mon père, Ted Tonkin, était le surintendant de le camp de White Deer Lake pendant 38 ans et en tant que famille, nous avons passé les étés à y vivre.

Un extrait du livre de Mme Cooley décrivant la vie au camp de White Deer Lake .

"Dès le début du temps glacial à la fin de l'automne, après que le niveau du lac ait été abaissé pour accommoder le ruissellement printanier prévu, un endroit à environ 200 pieds du rivage, juste à côté du hangar à bateaux, a été déneigé. Cette zone mesurait environ 100 pieds carrés. Vers la mi-janvier, c'était l'heure de la coupe de la glace. Lorsque la glace s'est accumulée à 20" d'épaisseur, d'énormes blocs ont été coupés mesurant 20" x 18" x 20" et pesant environ 200 livres. Les hommes ont utilisé une scie à glace à main pour couper les morceaux et des pinces à glace pour les retirer de l'eau. Ceux-ci ont été chargés sur un petit traîneau et tirés jusqu'à la glacière située à environ 500 pieds du rivage à l'extrémité sud du bâtiment de la cuisine. Si les conditions le permettaient, le tracteur était utilisé pour tirer le traîneau sur une colline courte mais raide. Sinon, les hommes devaient le faire à l'aide d'un treuil manuel. Un palan et un palan ont hissé les morceaux dans la glacière. Une fois en place, ces blocs étaient empilés au milieu de tas de sciure de bois. Dans un bon hiver, jusqu'à 300 blocs (ou environ 26 à 30 tonnes de glace) seraient stockés pour être utilisés dans les glacières au cours de l'année suivante.

Reproduit ici avec la permission de Kathleen Cooley. Merci d'avoir écrit votre excellent livre, Kathleen !


Cyrus McCormick (1809-1884)

Efficacité agricole . Dans les premières décennies du XIXe siècle, la superficie qu'une famille pouvait cultiver dépendait souvent du nombre de personnes qu'elle pouvait mettre dans les champs. En conséquence, la plupart des agriculteurs qui produisaient pour le marché étaient confrontés à des pénuries de main-d'œuvre continuelles, en particulier pendant la saison des récoltes, mais cela allait bientôt changer. De nouvelles machines réduisirent le temps nécessaire à la récolte des céréales environ de moitié entre 1800 et 1840, puis de moitié en 1880. La production et l'efficacité agricoles augmentèrent rapidement, un développement crucial pour l'économie de l'Ouest.

Charrues John Deere . Les charrues en fer et en acier ont rapidement remplacé celles en bois. En 1837, John Deere a construit sa première charrue en fer avec un tranchant en acier. Il fabriquait chaque année un millier de charrues au milieu des années 1840 et dix mille par an la décennie suivante. Ces nouvelles charrues ont permis au colon de couper en milles après milles une prairie du Midwest par ailleurs résistante, mais même les charrues de Deere ne pouvaient pas surmonter le problème de trouver suffisamment de main-d'œuvre au moment de la récolte. Les agriculteurs cultivant de petites céréales telles que le blé avaient encore besoin d'ouvriers pour récolter avec des faucilles, des faux ou des outils à main plus gros appelés berceaux.

Faucheuses McCormick . Cyrus Hall McCormick est né en Virginie en 1809, son père, Robert, était lui-même un bricoleur. Les premières moissonneuses mécaniques sont apparues en Angleterre vers 1800, et les inventeurs en Europe et aux États-Unis ont continué à explorer de nouvelles possibilités. Robert McCormick a expérimenté une moissonneuse et l'a donnée à son fils, Cyrus, en 1831. Après avoir apporté des améliorations, le jeune McCormick a breveté sa nouvelle moissonneuse en 1834. Bien que Cyrus McCormick ait quitté l'entreprise de machines agricoles pendant quelques années, sa moissonneuse, qui allait venu transformer l'agriculture dans l'ouest trans-appalachien, a été mis sur le marché en 1840. Entre son propre atelier en Virginie et quelques entrepreneurs à Cincinnati, Ohio, McCormick a produit 150 moissonneuses en 1845. McCormick a réalisé qu'une usine dans le Midwest pourrait augmenter considérablement les ventes , ainsi en 1847 lui et un associé ont construit une usine à Chicago. Ils y fabriquèrent 500 moissonneuses mécaniques en 1848.

Concurrents . Il est important de réaliser que Cyrus McCormick n'était pas le seul inventeur de la nouvelle faucheuse. En fait, Obed Hussey a breveté sa première faucheuse un an avant McCormick et est resté son principal concurrent pendant des années. Il y avait aussi d'autres concurrents, ce qui rendait les brevets de McCormick difficiles à protéger. McCormick est allé à plusieurs reprises devant les tribunaux pour protéger une variété de brevets. Malgré ces obstacles juridiques, en 1850, McCormick avait produit plus de 1 600 faucheuses et s'était emparé de 50 % du marché américain. Au cours des années 1850, alors que le nombre de moissonneuses qu'il produisait augmentait en raison d'une demande continue, sa part de marché diminuait. En 1865, McCormick ne possédait que 5 % du marché des moissonneuses. En effet, de nouveaux concurrents inventaient et produisaient plus rapidement de meilleures machines. Pourtant, la McCormick Harvesting Machine Company a continué à rivaliser dans la seconde moitié du XIXe siècle. À la mort de Cyrus en 1884, son fils Cyrus Jr. prit la direction de l'entreprise. En 1902, les McCormick et d'autres grands producteurs de moissonneuses mécaniques ont fusionné pour créer une entreprise géante connue sous le nom de International Harvester.

Ventes à l'étranger . Le succès de Cyrus McCormick dépendait d'un certain nombre de facteurs. En tant qu'inventeur précoce, il a fait un bond sur le marché et a réussi à obtenir des brevets cruciaux. Le rusé McCormick a également employé des méthodes ingénieuses pour commercialiser ses moissonneurs. Au début, McCormick s'est rendu à la campagne pour voir ses machines au travail pendant la saison des récoltes. Plus tard, ses agents et mécaniciens ont aidé à réparer les moissonneurs sur le terrain. McCormick a développé une garantie sur ses machines, et il les a vendues à crédit. Comme la concurrence, il a également commercialisé ses moissonneurs dans les sociétés agricoles et les foires. En 1851, McCormick fit une tournée en Europe pour effectuer des essais sur sa moissonneuse. Il a eu un tel succès qu'il a utilisé ses éloges européens pour la publicité dans son pays. Bientôt, ses concurrents sont allés à l'étranger pour promouvoir leurs propres machines.

L'héritage de McCormick . De vastes changements dans l'agriculture occidentale ont suivi le développement de la moissonneuse McCormick et d'autres nouvelles machines. Comme le nombre d'acres qu'un agriculteur pouvait récolter a augmenté de façon spectaculaire, les fermes de l'Ouest sont devenues de plus en plus grandes. Comme pour tout changement technologique, certains Américains ont été touchés par ces développements. Les familles d'agriculteurs les plus pauvres ont souvent constaté qu'elles ne pouvaient pas rivaliser avec les agriculteurs commerciaux plus riches. Moins de dépendance à l'égard des mains humaines a poussé de nombreux travailleurs agricoles dans les usines urbaines du pays. Les conséquences écologiques ont finalement inclus l'érosion des sols et la transformation des prairies américaines en zones de biodiversité relativement faible. Avant 1860, de telles préoccupations n'étaient pas encore apparentes pour de nombreux Américains, et la nation a plutôt célébré l'essor d'une agriculture à grande échelle apparemment efficace.


Cyryus Hall McCormick (1809-1884)

Virginie Enfance. Cyrus Hall McCormick est né dans une famille d'agriculteurs presbytériens stricts dans la vallée de Shenandoah en Virginie occidentale le 15 février 1809. Le grand-père de Cyrus &# x2019 a déménagé à Rockbridge Country depuis la Pennsylvanie pendant la Révolution américaine (au cours de laquelle il a combattu) et s'y est installé qui est resté dans la famille McCormick jusqu'au vingtième siècle. Le père de Cyrus, Robert, se considérait comme un inventeur et avait conçu entre autres un décortiqueur de trèfle, un soufflet pour les forgerons et même une machine à lire. Cyrus, qui a grandi en travaillant dans la ferme familiale et en fréquentant une école rurale quand le temps le permettait, a dû attraper le virus de la mécanique de son père. À l'âge de vingt-deux ans, il avait à son actif un brevet américain pour une charrue à flanc de coteau. Mais Cyrus a utilisé ses propres idées pour concevoir et construire sa première moissonneuse en 1831.

Marché lucratif. Lorsque McCormick (avec l'aide des esclaves appartenant à son père) a fait rouler son nouvel engin disgracieux sur John Steele &# x2019 champ d'avoine pour un champ, essai, ce n'était pas le premier des années 1820, Patrick Bell d'Écosse a construit une machine qui a récolté jusqu'à dix acres par jour, plusieurs fois ce que l'homme pouvait faire à la main. Cependant, avec leurs petites fermes et leur main-d'œuvre bon marché, les agriculteurs britanniques s'intéressaient peu aux appareils de récolte mécaniques tels que la moissonneuse-batteuse de Bell. En Amérique, en revanche, la situation s'est inversée. La vaste étendue de terres arables et l'offre relativement rare de travailleurs ont nécessité l'adoption de dispositifs permettant d'économiser de la main-d'œuvre. Le blé en particulier devait être récolté juste au bon moment, avant que ses épis ne mûrissent trop et ne déversent leur précieuse cargaison sur le sol, et comme le blé de tout le monde dans une région donnée atteint sa maturité à peu près au même moment, les agriculteurs qui n'a pas pu trouver assez de main-d'œuvre pendant la période cruciale pourrait perdre toute sa récolte. Une machine peu coûteuse qui pouvait couper le grain en toute sécurité et rapidement sur le terrain avait le potentiel d'exploiter un marché lucratif.

Les premiers concurrents. Après que la première moissonneuse de Cyrus ait trébuché sur six acres d'avoine Steele, puis ait survécu à un autre procès public plus important en 1832 (après plusieurs améliorations mécaniques), McCormick a commencé à épaissir sa machine avait le potentiel de gagner de l'argent. Il a continué à améliorer son désir d'origine tout au long des années 1830, mais d'autres entreprises familiales ont absorbé son temps, et il n'a pas fait grand-chose pour commercialiser ou fabriquer sa machine jusqu'à ce qu'Obediah Hussey de l'Ohio commence à construire et à vendre sa propre moissonneuse au milieu. de la décennie. Chaque homme était arrivé à son dessein indépendamment (Hussey a breveté sa moissonneuse en 1833, un an avant que McCormick ne reçoive son brevet), pourtant Hussey &# x2019 s reaper fonctionnait selon des principes similaires à McCormick &# x2019 s qui est devenu une source de friction et de rivalité entre les deux hommes. Un essai sur le terrain des deux machines en 1843 s'est avéré peu concluant, mais la concurrence (ainsi que la dette accumulée d'une autre entreprise familiale) a incité Cyrus à commencer à produire et à vendre ses machines pour de bon. En utilisant la forge familiale et l'aide de son père et de ses frères, McCormick a construit et vendu vingt-neuf moissonneuses en 1843 et cinquante en 1844. McCormick s'est toutefois rendu compte qu'il ne pouvait vendre qu'un nombre limité de moissonneuses coûteuses (100 $ à 150 $) aux agriculteurs des collines de Shenandoah, avec leurs petits champs rocailleux et leurs sols usés.

Se déplace vers l'ouest. En 1844, McCormick vendit plusieurs moissonneurs à des fermiers des riches terres de la vallée de l'Ohio et, à la fin de l'année, il se rendit lui-même dans l'Ouest pour s'assurer que ses machines étaient correctement assemblées. En visitant les vastes terres agricoles des prairies récemment colonisées d'Illionis, du Wisconsin et du Missouri, McCormick a observé une situation faite sur mesure pour son moissonneur et, en 1847, lui et sa famille ont déménagé dans la ville en plein essor de Chicago. En un an, le chemin de fer et le télégraphe ont atteint la ville, et Chjicago et le centre d'expédition pour tout l'Ouest. McCormick était à l'épicentre de cette transition, armé d'une invention parfaitement adaptée à la récolte de la prairie.

Nouveautés. McCormick a vendu 450 moissonneuses de son usine de Chicago en 1848, et plus de 1 000 en 1850, mais son succès était en gros assuré. Ses brevets ont expiré en 1848, ouvrant le champ à des dizaines de concurrents, certains avec des conceptions supérieures à celles de McCormick. De plus, les agriculteurs hésitaient à dépenser plus de 100 $ pour une machine dont ils ne savaient rien. McCVormick a adopté certaines améliorations de ses rivaux, telles que des sièges pour le pilote et le râteau, une meilleure barre de coupe et éventuellement des classeurs automatiques, et a maintenu ses prix bas grâce à des réductions de coûts dans son usine. C'était un compétiteur agressif et très litigieux. Mais la véritable innovation de McCormick est venue avec ses plans de marketing. Les agents McCormick ont ​​fait la démonstration de sa faucheuse lors de foires agricoles dans tout le Midwest, opposant les machines à celles d'autres entreprises lors de concours qui ont attiré de grandes foules. Il a écrit ses propres publicités vantant les vertus de son “ Virginia Reaper ” (souvent avec des témoignages d'agriculteurs) tout en illustrant à quel point il était facile et rentable d'utiliser son appareil. Il a organisé un système d'agents de vente qui vendaient des moissonneurs à la commission mais étaient également chargés de réparer les machines et d'éduquer les agriculteurs sur leur fonctionnement. Enfin, il a proposé ses moissonneuses à la vente sur un plan de crédit, permettant à un agriculteur de faire un acompte au printemps, d'utiliser la machine pour rentrer la récolte, puis de payer le reste du coût en décembre. Aidé par l'expansion rapide du réseau ferroviaire et une forte augmentation du prix du blé, McCormick a vendu plus de quatre mille moissonneuses par an au milieu des années 1850, et en avait vendu un total de huit mille en 1860. En 1851, la moissonneuse a remporté le convoité Médaille du Conseil à l'exposition Crystal Palace de Londres McCormick a profité de ce moment opportun pour lancer un réseau de vente à l'étranger.

Dernières années. De son propre aveu, McCormick vivait pour son entreprise de moissonneuse. “ J'ai un but dans la vie, ” dit-il, “ le succès et l'utilisation généralisée de mes machines. Toutes les autres questions sont pour moi trop insignifiantes pour être considérées. ” McCormick ne buvait ni ne fumait et ne s'est marié qu'à l'âge mûr, bien que lui et sa femme aient quand même réussi à avoir sept enfants, dont l'un, Cyrus Jr., a repris l'entreprise. Il a fortement contribué au Parti démocrate, a siégé au comité national du parti et s'est présenté aux élections (sans succès) à plusieurs reprises, une fois à la vice-présidence. L'un des premiers magnats de l'industrie américaine, McCormick a investi dans les chemins de fer, les mines et d'autres entreprises commerciales, devenant administrateur au conseil d'administration du géant Union Pacific Railway. Un presbytérien strict depuis toujours, McCormick a également fait don d'importantes sommes d'argent à l'église et au Presbyterian Theological Seminary de Chicago (appelé McCormick Theological Seminary jusqu'en 1928). Malgré toutes ces activités, la McCormick Harvesting Machine Company (constituée en société en 1879 et combinée à d'autres entreprises pour former International Harvester en 1902) est restée l'institution centrale de sa vie. Il a continué à servir en tant que président de l'entreprise, supervisant les améliorations dans la fabrication et la conception de la faucheuse McCormick, jusqu'à sa mort en 1884.


Histoire de l'entrepreneuriat de Chicago : les frères McCormick et la montée des mégacorps

Le sujet des frères McCormick et leur développement du « Virginia Reaper » et de ce qui deviendra plus tard le conglomérat de Chicago, International Harvester, suscitent d'innombrables ironies et conséquences imprévues dans l'histoire américaine. En voici quelques-uns : les esclavagistes du Sud élèvent les États du Nord, par la production de surplus de céréales et la création de surtravail, à un avantage industriel et de main-d'œuvre décisif dans la guerre civile. Grâce en grande partie à l'invention des McCormick, par exemple, le Nord a exporté 200 millions de boisseaux de céréales vers l'Europe pendant la guerre civile en allégeant le travail de tous les producteurs de céréales et en redressant leur dos courbé, les Virginiens bien intentionnés accélèrent l'urbanisation et l'industrialisation de leur nation. . Ces forces brisent, à leur tour, leur mode de vie agraire jeffersonien bien-aimé et transforment les agriculteurs en une race étrange et en voie de disparition.

LES FRÈRES McCORMICK, VISIONNAIRES D'AFFAIRES

De leur vivant, Cyrus, William et Leander McCormick n'ont rien fait de moins que de révolutionner l'agriculture et de définir une industrie entièrement nouvelle. Ils ont mis fin à des siècles de récolte des céréales à la main - avec la faucille, la faux et le berceau. Ce faisant, ils sont devenus des millionnaires, les géants reconnus de la nouvelle entreprise de machines agricoles et un nom connu dans le monde entier. Mais pourquoi sont-ce les frères McCormick qui ont satisfait un besoin de longue date de machines économisant la main-d'œuvre à la ferme ? Qui a substitué le muscle animal au muscle humain ? Distinguer les McCormick de leurs rivaux et concurrents, et les mettre à l'avant-garde du changement, était leur maîtrise des langages de l'invention, du marketing et de l'organisation, une rare combinaison de dons. Comme peu l'ont fait, ils ont réussi à commercialiser l'invention de leur père, la première moissonneuse mécanique pratique. Pour ce faire, ils ont dû mettre au point des méthodes nouvelles et originales de vente, de publicité et de distribution de leur produit. Il n'y avait personne à imiter. Ce seraient les hommes d'affaires que d'autres imiteraient, un modèle en fait pour la future industrie automobile.

Le génie entrepreneurial des McCormicks s'est révélé de multiples façons interdépendantes. Appelons-le « le système McCormick ». La leur était une nouvelle culture d'entreprise, une expression de l'ingéniosité du Sud plutôt que l'ingéniosité yankee plus annoncée trouvée chez William Deering et John Deere. Les nouvelles techniques des McCormick ont ​​renversé la tradition du "caveat emptor" et ont substitué la confiance, la responsabilité, la reconnaissance de la marque et la bonne volonté du client. Pour élargir le marché de leur machine, les frères ont introduit des dispositifs ingénieux. Une incitation puissante était leur soi-disant «essai gratuit», une garantie écrite avec chaque vente, une garantie de remboursement d'un remboursement complet si leur produit ne fonctionnait pas de manière satisfaisante. Une incitation connexe était leur « plan d'achat à tempérament ». En 1849, ils vendirent leur moissonneuse de 120 $ aux agriculteurs aux conditions suivantes : 30 $ d'acompte à la livraison avant la récolte et les 90 $ restants, plus 6 % d'intérêt, le 1er décembre. (Tous les frais d'expédition et de transport, soit dit en passant, étaient à la charge de l'acheteur .) De toute évidence, les frères étaient prêts à prendre des risques financiers importants et sans précédent pour commercialiser leur produit.

Mais ce n'était pas du tout le pari qu'on pourrait penser. Ils semblent avoir pris en compte les grands comptes débiteurs dans leurs calculs de prix et de bénéfices. De 1849 à 1858, les factures en souffrance et impayées ont gonflé à plus de 400 000 $, ce qui était potentiellement désastreux s'ils n'avaient pas réalisé environ 150 % de profit par moissonneuse.9 De plus, ils ont standardisé leur importante marge bénéficiaire en fixant un prix public, fixe et non négociable. Il ne devait y avoir ni marchandage ni marchandage avec le client, ni remise spéciale. Tout le monde a payé le même prix.

Une autre innovation des McCormick était le « essai sur le terrain », un élément de publicité et de promotion particulièrement efficace dans l'Amérique rurale. Les frères organisèrent des concours publics, gratuits pour les spectateurs, par des fabricants de moissonneuses rivaux. En fait, ils ont investi massivement dans la publicité sous toutes ses formes et ont même publié un magazine spécialisé diffusé par leur réseau d'agents qui a atteint un large lectorat parmi les agriculteurs. Ils ont participé à de nombreuses foires et expositions d'État pour faire la démonstration de « Old Reliable ». Les prix et récompenses qu'ils ont remportés, au pays et à l'étranger, ont contribué à faire de « McCormick » une marque universelle bien avant que l'image de marque ne devienne un engouement pour les entreprises. Une telle popularité a permis aux McCormick de faire payer plus cher leurs machines et de payer moins de commissions à leurs agents.

Dans les premières années, les McCormick ont ​​créé un réseau d'agents formés liés à eux par des contrats exclusifs et des territoires exclusifs. Ils commandaient, recevaient, livraient et réparaient les moissonneuses qu'ils fabriquaient. Plus tard, dans les années 1880, les agents régionaux travaillant à la commission ont été remplacés par des gérants salariés qui supervisaient les concessionnaires franchisés. L'organisation était de premier ordre.

Les indigènes du comté de Rockbridge, en Virginie, savaient également comment adapter les idées et les inventions des autres à leur avantage commercial. De toute évidence, leur invention a stimulé l'invention de machines agricoles plus sophistiquées par des personnes plus inventives qu'elles n'en possédaient. Avec toutes les améliorations technologiques qui en ont résulté, ils ont suivi le rythme avec ténacité : Atkins's Self-Rake Reaper, les frères Marsh Harvester Withington's Wire Self-Binder et Deering's Twine Self-Binder. Ils étaient aussi des inventeurs et des emprunteurs. Bill Gates pourrait être les frères McCormick réincarnés. Les similitudes dans leurs stratégies et tactiques respectives sont frappantes.

Comme l'a souligné le biographe de Cyrus Hall McCormick, William T. Hutchinson, de manière assez convaincante, « leurs jours en tant qu'inventeur se sont terminés avec son brevet de 1847 ». Par la suite, ils ont astucieusement acheté des brevets, des droits de brevet et des licences à d'autres, en payant des redevances si nécessaire, tandis que leurs avocats experts se battaient devant les tribunaux dans des « guerres de brevets » sans fin avec leurs rivaux. Leurs années d'activité ont été inondées de litiges. Ils étaient intrépides.

La décision la plus inspirée des McCormick, prise en 1847, fut de déplacer le centre de leurs opérations vers l'ouest, de la vallée de Shenandoah à Chicago. Ils se sont rendu compte que l'avenir de la moissonneuse était dans les Grandes Plaines et sur la frontière occidentale. En s'y rendant en premier, ils ont « consommé » une grande partie du marché intérieur. C'était aussi un gros pari, car Chicago était alors loin du hub ferroviaire qu'elle devint plus tard. Leur faucheuse a précédé le chemin de fer de Chicago de trois ans. En fait, ils ont établi leur usine de production à Chicago AVANT l'arrivée du télégraphe, des canaux et des chemins de fer dans cette ville de 17 000 habitants. Les McCormick ont ​​parié sur son avenir et ont gagné à la loterie. La croissance de leur entreprise et la croissance de Chicago se sont entrelacées pour le reste du siècle et au-delà. Les frères McCormick ont ​​émergé comme les premiers grands industriels de Chicago, les hommes d'affaires qui possédaient sa plus grande usine.

Le passage des McCormick au « marché des prairies » a mis fin à l'ère de la sous-fabrication décentralisée caractérisée à un degré troublant par une supervision inadéquate, un manque de fiabilité et un contrôle de qualité médiocre dans des endroits comme Brockport, New York et Cincinnati. Avec la centralisation de la production à Chicago, une supervision constante, des améliorations des processus de fabrication et des économies d'échelle ont commencé. Étant donné que les innovations des McCormick en matière de marketing et de vente avaient résolu bon nombre des problèmes les plus difficiles de la distribution de masse de la moissonneuse, de la façon de pénétrer un marché national d'agriculteurs, leur première usine de Chicago était libre d'attaquer le problème de la production sur un grand escalader. Lorsque la production de masse a été intégrée à la distribution de masse, la mégacorp a fait ses débuts dans le secteur des machines agricoles. Et la route vers International Harvester a été illuminée pour la première fois.

LA PREMIÈRE USINE DE CHICAGO McCORMICK, 1848 - 1871

Between 1848 and 1871 the McCormick brothers regularly enlarged and improved their Chicago plant, which was designed with ready access to water and rail transportation. Comprised of both wood-working and iron-working departments, as well as a paint shop, and with docks on the Chicago River for receiving raw materials and shipping finished products, it was built to control costs. At first, some parts of the 1,200 pound reaper were manufactured elsewhere: sickles in Massachusetts guard fingers in New Jersey iron castings on the other side of Chicago. Raw materials arrived from all over the country and the world white ash lumber from Michigan pig iron from Pittsburgh and Scotland steel from England. But the story of the next half-century was one of integration, of lowering costs by eliminating more and more outside suppliers and middlemen. By 1870, the McCormicks were producing 10,000 machines annually at the Chicago factory.

CONTINGENCY IN AMERICAN BUSINESS HISTORY
1871 MARKED AN IMPORTANT TURNING POINT IN THE HISTORY OF THE McCORMICK COMPANY.

The Great Chicago Fire of that year proved both a terrible misfortune, as the original factory complex burned to the ground with great financial loss, and a perverse twist of good luck. Contingency is a powerful force in the life of an institution. Without “The Fire,” one can readily imagine a different fate for the McCormick brothers, Cyrus and Leander, brother William having died in 1865. Led by Leander, they relocated and rebuilt in a visionary fashion, with allowances made for prodigious future growth, the McCormicks obtained additional advantages over their competitors through the most up-to-date equipment, greater economies of scale, and wholesale efficiencies.

Thereafter, at the vast 230-acre “McCormick City,” which employed 1,400 workers in 1884 and whose main factory building was ten times the size of its predecessor, the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company, which replaced the old partnership, C.H. & L.J. McCormick, in 1879, operated furnaces and foundries, produced its own iron, ran sawmills and the largest twine mill in the world, and even manufactured its own bolts and nuts. The company also purchased mines and forests to assure steady supplies for its furnaces and sawmills. In time, virtually every part of the McCormick harvesting machines would be made at this complex.12 “McCormick City” anticipated Henry Ford’s industrial colossus at the River Rouge by twenty-five years. What was needed to transform “McCormick City” into the River Rouge was another technological breakthrough, the moving assembly line.

“McCormick City” liberated supply. Production doubled between 1870 and 1880. Between 1880 and 1884, when Cyrus McCormick died and his son Cyrus, Jr. took over management of the company, output nearly trebled. By 1891, annual output approached four times its 1880 figure.

THE CREATION OF INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER

America’s very first outbreak of “merger mania” occurred between 1898 and 1902. Over that span 212 major consolidations took place in American industry. One of those mergers involved the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company. In 1902, it combined with its chief competitor, William Deering & Co. and three smaller rivals, to create the megacorp, International Harvester. With assets of $110 million, and control of 85% of U. S. production of harvesting machines, IH was “a virtual monopoly.” By 1909, it was the fourth largest corporation in America, as well as the largest farm equipment company in the world. The corporate behemoth rested securely on foundations put firmly in place by the McCormick brothers. In recognition of their central role in the creation of International Harvester, the remaining McCormick heirs received 43% of the new company’s stock. And Cyrus, Jr., was chosen its first President.

According to Alfred Chandler, the dean of business historians, the initiative for the merger came from U. S. Steel and the Morgan bankers who dominated that corporate giant. Elbert Gary, head of U. S. Steel, feared that both the McCormick and Deering firms intended to build their own steel rolling mills, depriving him thereby of lucrative contracts and valuable customers. Gary’s efforts coincided with a readiness on the parts
of William Deering and Cyrus McCormick, Jr. to halt, once and for all, the fierce, cutthroat competition that troubled their industry.

Today, the once great conglomerate, International Harvester, is no longer extant—having been undermined by the competitors, such as John Deere, in the early 1980s. By the end of it’s life, the company produced a variety of products but focused primarily on farming equipment, small and heavy-duty trucks, and construction equipment, a massive organization which worked well in good times, but prevented the company from innovating during times of economic strain. International Harvester was split up into three separate companies, Navistar, Case IH (Fiat), McCormick Tractors, and Cub Cadet. Despite the break-up, the legacy of the McCormicks and of International Harvester lives on in the immense philanthropic gifts, most of which can be seen on the walls of the great Chicago and Virginia institutions, as well as countless McCormick-International Harvester aficionados across the country, who still consider McCormick the first name in farming.

1Robert Hall McCormick, had nine slaves. On the eve of the Civil War Cyrus owned “three or four” slaves, property which he hired out to his Walnut Grove neighbors while he lived in Chicago. See William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Seedtime, 1809 – 1856 (New York, 1930), 17 William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Harvest, 1856 – 1884 (New York, 1935), 38. Hereafter, cited as Vol. I and Vol. II.
2Herbert N. Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: His Life and Work (Chicago, 1909), 192.
3AlLeander made “long annual visits” to the Shenandoah Valley of his youth and Cyrus was elected in 1880 as the first president of the Virginia Society of Chicago. Hutchinson, Vol. II, 37 (fn. 1).
6Chapter Two, “A Legacy in the Heartland,” in Barbara Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy: The Agony of International Harvester Company (New York, 1985), 15 – 34, and Chapter Three, “Cyrus McCormick,” in Harold C. Livesay, American Made: Men Who Shaped the American Economy (Boston, 1979), shed abundant light on McCormick’s business innovations. Alfred D. Chandler’s The Visible Hand: The Managerial Revolution in American Business (Cambridge, MA., 1977), 305 – 7, 402 – 3, 406 – 11, details McCormick’s role in the “managerial revolution” that swept American industry in the late nineteenth century.
7Richard S. Tedlow, Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built (New York, 2001), 1. McCormick did qualify for inclusion in Daniel Gross, Forbes Greatest Business Stories of All Time (New York, 1966). See “Cyrus McCormick’s Reaper and the Industrialization of Farming,” 22 – 38.
8Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick, 80.
7
9Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 23 Hutchinson, Vol. I, 249.
10James Wallace and Jim Erickson, Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire (New York, 1992), 117, 135, 269, 342, 352, 381, 390.
11Hutchinson, Vol. II, 360. 12Casson is especially informative about the development of “McCormick City.” 13Chandler, The Visible Hand, 306 – 7. 14Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 4, 41 – 2 Chandler, The Visible Hand, 408 – 9.


Death of Cyrus McCormick

Inventor and businessman Cyrus McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in Chicago, Illinois.

Cyrus Hall McCormick was born on February 15, 1809, in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. He was the oldest of eight children born to inventor Robert McCormick, Jr. Around the same time Cyrus was born, his father began working on a design for a mechanical reaper. He spent 28 years working on the design but never managed to make it right. So Cyrus went on to take up the project himself.

McCormick worked with Jo Anderson on the design. While some machines were designed to be pushed by horses, McCormick worked on a machine that would be pulled by horses and cut the grain on one side of the team. In 1831, McCormick held one of the first demonstrations of his new machine. He said he had developed the finalized version in 18 months. McCormick was then granted the patent for his reaper on June 21, 1834.

US #891 – Enveloppe Premier Jour Classique.

During this time, McCormick and his family also had a blacksmith and metal smelting business, which nearly went bankrupt during the Panic of 1837. McCormick began holding more demonstrations of his machine, but most local farmers thought it was unreliable. McCormick continued to improve on his original design and eventually began to sell more – seven in 1842, then 29 in 1843, and 50 in 1844. The following year, he got another patent for the improvements made to the reaper.

US #891 – Rubber Stamp Cachet First Day Cover.

Up until this point, the machines were all built in the family farm shop. But McCormick soon realized that he was receiving orders for reapers from out west, where the farms were larger and flatter. McCormick then contracted to have his machines mass-produced at a factory in New York. In 1847, he and his brother opened their own factory in Chicago. The business prospered after that, aided by railroads that could help deliver the machines and replacement parts much quicker than ever before.

Item #81883 – Commemorative cover marking McCormick’s 179th birthday.

In 1851, McCormick took his reaper to the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London. His reaper successfully harvested a field while the Hussey machine (Obed Hussey who had a competing patent claim) failed. McCormick then won a gold medal and was admitted to the Legion of Honor, but also found out he had lost a court challenge of Hussey’s patent. By 1856, McCormick’s factory was producing over 4,000 reapers per year. Then in 1871, the factory burned down during the Great Chicago Fire, but he rebuilt it and reopened in 1873.

US #982 was issued for the 200th anniversary of Washington and Lee University.

McCormick was a devout Presbyterian all his life and committed much of his time and money to helping others. He helped create the Theological Seminary of the Northwest (later named the McCormick Theological Seminary) and donated $10,000 to help start the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). McCormick and his wife also donated money to Tusculum College and helped create churches and Sunday Schools in the South after the Civil War. During the last 20 years of his life, McCormick was a benefactor and served on the board of trustees for Washington and Lee University.

After suffering a stroke in 1880, McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in his home in Chicago. He received many honors during and after his life – the French named him an Officer of the Legion of Honor and he was elected to the French Academy of Sciences for “having done more for the cause of agriculture than any other living man.” Many credit McCormick’s reaper with reducing human labor on farms, increasing productivity, and being a driving force in the industrialization of agriculture in dozens of nations.


McCormick County History

Hunters, traders and drovers coming into the area that is now McCormick County in the early 1700s discovered an unspoiled, enchanting, wilderness paradise. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

The hills were forested with short-leaf pines and oaks, interspersed with cedars, persimmons, cherries, and locusts. Along the streams grew walnuts, cottonwoods, birches, hickories, and maples. Chestnuts, oaks, and poplars along the streams often grew to exceed seventy feet or more in height. The crystal-clear streams teemed with catfish, perch, bass, bream, and shad. Beavers, raccoons, otters, and muskrats trailed their banks. The soil was deemed ordinary when canes grew no higher than a man’s head but fertile when the canes attained a height of twenty or thirty feet. The land was the Native American hunter’s bonanza. It thronged with turkey, ducks, quail, geese, eagles, hawks, owls, songbirds, and wild animals – rabbits, squirrels, opossums, foxes, bobcats, wolves, and cougars. Buffalo, deer, and black bear abounded. The shaggy buffalo would later lend its name to locales like Buffalo Creek, Little Buffalo Creek, and Buffalo Baptist Church in the county. A hunter from Ninety-Six reported counting more than a hundred buffaloes grazing on a single acre near Long Cane Creek. Herds of deer numbering sixty and seventy roamed the natural habitat. A Cherokee hunter often killed two hundred deer in a year. In a good year tribesmen sold more than two hundred thousand deerskins to traders from Charles Town. In a single autumn, a hunter could kill enough black bear to salt down three thousand pounds of meat. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

John Stevens maintained cow-pens near the crossing of the Cherokee Path, over Stevens Creek in 1715. The Cherokees called the Cherokee Path, “Suwali-Nana”. Stevens’ cow-pens lended the name for the creek. Likewise, cow-pens located on Cuffeytown Creek led to the creation of a trading post, probably called “Cuffey Town”, that was situated on the east side of the stream just above the bridge on U. S. Route 378, near Longmires, presently the Hollingsworth home. In 1756, George Bussey took up a 900-acre tract of land on Horn’s Creek below Stevens Creek. In the same year John Scott, formerly of Cuffeytown Creek, moved to Stevens Creek, where five years later he was made a justice of the peace. The Stevens Creek settlement was a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek encompassing lower present-day McCormick County.

The 1747 treaty set the new Indian boundary at Long Cane Creek. It clearly stipulated that there would be no settling north of the boundary. The immediate effect of the treaty was to open land for settling along the Indian path.

Scots-Irish Arrive in the Long Canes

After General Edward Braddock’s defeat in 1755 during the French and Indian War, the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania were exposed to great danger from the French at Fort Duquesne on the Ohio River, and their Indians allies. Bands of warring Indians ravaged the frontiers populated mostly by Scots-Irish. Settlers evacuated the countryside. To escape the atrocities, five Scots-Irish families made their way down the Great Wagon Road from Virginia to the Waxhaws. The Calhouns – four brothers James, Ezekiel, William and Patrick, their sister Mary, widow of John Noble, and their mother Catherine. At the Waxhaws, they were induced by a band of hunters to visit the Long Canes in the Ninety-Six District. The hunters gave a glowing description of the Long Canes. The Calhouns arrived in the Long Canes (present-day McCormick County) in February 1756. They settled at a site on the east side of Long Cane Creek, where they built a palisade fort called Fort Long Canes. The site was less than a mile from present-day Long Cane A.R.P. Church, and two miles west of Troy. Before the end of the year the Calhouns crossed Long Cane Creek and relocated a few miles to the north to the Flatwoods on Little River (near present-day Mt. Carmel). The Flatwoods was located in Cherokee hunting lands. Their nearest neighbors were Robert Gouedy, a Scots-Irish Indian trader at Ninety-Six, and Andrew Williamson, a Scot cattle drover on Hard Labor Creek. The Calhouns assured the provincial government that they had secured permission of the Cherokees to settle there. How true it was cannot be ascertained. However, according the 1747 treaty the land was not legally open for settlement.

The Calhouns quickly petitioned for land grants and received hundreds of acres in the Flatwoods on Little River. Patrick Calhoun secured a deputation as land surveyor. Surveying these tracts began the near monopoly of land surveying that he held for seven years. They cleared land, planted crops and accumulated poultry, cattle, hogs, horses, and mules. These five pioneer families opened the way for development of the Long Canes. From the beginning the Calhouns were people of substance. Other Scots-Irish Presbyterian settlers followed the Calhouns down the Great Wagon Road from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Many of them were relatives and former neighbors of the Calhouns. Most, like the Calhouns, had originally settled in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, and had moved on into Virginia when settling became crowded. By 1759 the number of families had increased to twenty or thirty. Among those who located in Long Canes early were the Arthur Patton family, and the families Alexander, Anderson, Houston, Norris, and Pickens. “Squire” Patrick Calhoun, the family patriarch, was appointed a justice of the peace and became a prosperous farmer and the undisputed leader of the Calhoun Settlement in the Long Canes. In 1769, Calhoun was seated, albeit not without great effort, as a representative for Prince William Parish as the region’s first representative in the Royal Assembly in Charles Town. In 1775, he was elected from Ninety-Six District to the First Provincial Congress. William Calhoun was also commissioned a justice of the peace. He built a store on his place and carried on a lively trade with his white neighbors and with Cherokee Indians. The Indians brought deerskins, bear and beaver hides, ginseng, and other herbs, which they traded for guns and powder, farm tools and implements, household items, cloth and ribbons.

The Huguenots

The Huguenots were French Calvinists or French Reformed Protestants. Like the Scottish Presbyterians, they were followers of John Calvin, French religious reformer. The New Bordeaux colony was settled primarily by two separate groups: the first in 1764 under the leadership of Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, the second by fate in 1768. Early in the second half of the eighteenth century, Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, condemned to death by the French government seven years earlier for his Calvinist preaching, organized the migration for the New Bordeaux colony from his London base. British King George III’s interest in financing the Huguenot settlement was for bringing about quick settlement of the South Carolina back country following the Cherokee War of 1760. His Commissioners designated a location in the thinly settled back country, the strategy being to create a buffer to protect the Charleston tidewater area against Indian uprisings.

The sailing vessel slid out of the harbor, and headed northward toward the English Channel and Plymouth, England, on August 9, 1763. The Friendship dropped anchor in Charles Town, South Carolina on the 12th of April 1764. The town of New Bordeaux was planned and built in the design typical of a French village on Little River. Log homes were built on half-acre lots in neat rows along narrow streets. Once situated, the Huguenots immediately adopted a local governmental council consisting of five members – the justice of peace, the minister, and the three officers of the village militia. North of the village were the family, four-acre vineyard lots stretching along gentle slopes toward the river. On these mini-farms the Huguenots developed olive groves and grape vineyards. On the same lots they cultivated garden crops such as maize (Indian corn), potatoes, beans, and cabbage.

Four years later, contrary winds caused another group of colonists to join the already established settlement at New Bordeaux. Jean Louis Dumesnil de St. Pierre, a French Huguenot refugee living in London, conceived a plan to establish a colony in North America to cultivate a wine and silk industry on a commercial scale. He petitioned King George III for land to settle upon on. The British monarch approved the scheme and promised St. Pierre a land grant of 40,000 acres on Cape Sable Island near Halifax in Nova Scotia. After more than three years of preparation and anticipation, St. Pierre and his French and German protestant colonists boarded the St. Peter in London harbor for a perilous voyage bound for Cape Sable Island in Nova Scotia. They departed on September 26, 1767. When not long at sea, the St. Peter began to encounter choppy waters. Increasingly brisk winds began to lash the vessel in this record-breaking early winter season. As the weeks passed into months, gale after gale brought the fury of rain and hail and bitter-cold, winter winds. Ten of the colonists who died of scurvy in-route were forever entombed in frigid watery graves. By the first day of January 1768, the St. Peter was situated, “at latitude 41° north,” according to St. Pierre’s journal, which described the ship as “being very leaky and the Colonists reduced to three pounds of bread for nine days and very sick of the scurvy, they did oblige (him) to bear and put into the harbour of Charles Town.” The helmsman steered the brigantine carrying the colonists toward Charles Town, South Carolina. Better weather prevailed. Nearly six weeks later, the St. Peter limped into the seaport on February 10, 1768. In Charles Town, Lord Charles Montagu encouraged St. Pierre to settle his Protestant colonists in the South Carolina back country with the French Huguenots at New Bordeaux. Huguenot Parkway at Sheridan.

The German Palatines

Johann Heinrich Christian, Sieur de Stumpel was a German of high position. For several months he enlisted Germans who turned over everything of value to de Stumpel’s agent – homes, land, and personal property. A good portion of the colonists were from the area called the German Palatinate – the entire group has usually been referred to as “Palatines.” The riverboats arrived. De Stumpel’s plan was set into motion. The boats slid along the Rhine River picking up German emigrants who had assembled at numerous points. The voyagers were conveyed down the Rhine to the seaport of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. At Rotterdam the excited Germans boarded ships. The ships set sail upon the open sea. There was great jubilation among the passengers as they lost sight of land. They expected to touch port briefly in England where Sieur de Stumpel would be waiting to pay for passage and to make the final arrangements for their settlement in Nova Scotia, and then to put to sea for the journey to the Americas. Finally, after a year of soulful deliberation, apprehension, preparation, and severance from the land of their birth, these bold-spirited German colonists were on the way – Auf dem Weg zum Schlaraffenland! (On the way to the “wonderland!”) So they thought! When the ships docked in London in late August everything went out of whack. Sieur de Stumpel was nowhere to be found, and there was no sign of any agent who might be working for him. The shipmasters were enraged. They demanded passage money. The refugees had none. The Germans were mercilessly thrown off the ships, and their baggage was confiscated. They had no food, no money, no clothes, and no way of communicating with the English-speaking people gawking at them. And they had no leader in their group. They were totally destitute! Finally, leaving the wharf, the bedraggled refugees struggled past the warehouses and into a road that led them to Whitechapel Fields where they sat down along the common. That night a cold rain drenched them. For two days they had no food. Their luck changed a little when an English baker saw them and brought them loaves of bread. After several days without food, except for the loaves, word of their destitution reached the Reverend Gustav Anthon Wachsel, pastor of the new German Lutheran church in London called St. George’s. The church had been built by the pastor’s uncle, a rich German named Beckmann, for the many Germans working in sugar refineries of the neighborhood. The pastor caused the state of their wretched plight to be published in a London newspaper, and immediately went to the aid of the refugees. His parish quickly mobilized and began relief work. The military raised tents to reduce their exposure to the weather. By this time there had already been deaths among the emigrants. As a result of the newspaper coverage, Lord Halifax directed an appeal to the King to intervene and to settle the German Palatines in America. Sieur de Stumpel never showed up. Nor did his agent. After several weeks, the refugees were told that they would be settled in South Carolina. London’s Gentlemen’s Magazine for Tuesday, September 13, 1764, wrote, “In compliance with a petition for that purpose, his Majesty has been graciously pleased to order, that the Palatines now so liberally provided for shall be sent to, and established in Carolina, for which purpose 150 stand of arms have been already delivered out for their use and contracts were made for their immediate transportation.”

Six weeks later vessels with German refugees aboard lifted anchor, and set sail from London, bound for Charles Town, South Carolina. Ihre Reise war wiederum im Fortschritt! (Their journey was under way once again.) The Dragon, commanded by Francis Hammot dropped anchor on the night of December 13, 1764. After nine weeks at sea the voyage was over.

As instructed, Patrick Calhoun built the large community house near Hard Labor Creek. It served as a “center” until the settlers could get settled on their individual tracts of land. In February 1765, the rest of the German colonists arrived in Charles Town aboard Captain Lonley’s Planter’s Adventure. The Lieutenant Governor intended to settle the Germans very near the French Huguenots of New Bordeaux, and the Scots-Irish of the Long Canes. But, upon learning of the still present threat of Indian raids, the German Palatines chose to settle several miles southeasterly. A township containing some 25,000 acres was laid out, and named Londonborough in honor of their London benefactors. The German colonists selected lands in the vicinity of Hard Labor Creek, Cuffeytown Creek, Horsepen Creek, Sleepy Creek, Rocky Creek, Mountain Creek, and Turkey Creek.

afro-américains entered the county early. About 1755, John Scott, a Scots-Irish trader with at least five African slaves, took up a tract of land. His son Samuel Scott established a ferry on Savannah River near the present-day town of Clarks Hill. Other settlers, including George Bussey, brought slaves with them, and located in that same valley that came to be known as Stevens Creek settlement – a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek.

At about the same time, John Chevis, a free black carpenter from Virginia, with a wife, nine children, and a foundling infant, was granted a tract of land on Little River, five miles above its junction with Long Cane Creek. It appears that Chevis had initially come into the Stevens Creek settlement.

By the beginning of the American Revolution there were African slaves in Stevens Creek, the Long Canes and New Bordeaux settlements, and other areas of present day McCormick County. In 1790, one fourth of the white families owned slaves.

The Long Cane Indian Massacre

February 1, 1760, was a cold, winter day in the Calhoun settlement at Long Canes in present-day McCormick County. During the morning, the settlers received the alarm of an impending attack planned by Indian warriors from the Lower Towns and the Middle Towns of the Cherokee Nation. Risking her life, Cateechee, a Cherokee maiden, rode some seventy miles on horseback from her Keowee home in the Lower Towns to warn settlers. The daring dash by Cateechee probably saved the Long Canes settlement from total annihilation.

The settlers of Long Canes hastily began preparations to flee some sixty miles south to Tobler’s Fort at Beech Island in New Windsor Township, just across the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia. Within hours of the warning a first group of over a hundred persons left the Long Canes and would reach Tobler’s Fort unmolested. Shortly thereafter the rest of the settlers moved out in a wagon train of about 150 persons. Travel was hampered due to the ground being soggy wet from recent rainy weather. After traveling a few miles, they reached Long Cane Creek where they experienced great difficulty in crossing the creek and climbing the hill on the east side. By that time, it was late and the decision was made to make camp for the night.

Meanwhile, a Cherokee war party of about a hundred Indian braves, reportedly led by Chief Big Sawny and Chief Sunaratehee, arrived at the Long Canes settlement and found it abandoned. They pursued the trail of the settlers for a while and decided to cease pursuit. At the moment, they were about to turn around, they faintly heard shouts of the fleeing settlers as they probably were making the creek crossing. The war party quickly resumed pursuit, crossed the creek at another site and went into hiding. When at their most defenseless moment, the Indians attacked. The campsite was at once a scene of total pandemonium. In the wild confusion only a few of the fifty-five to sixty fighting men could lay hand on their guns. Women and children scrambled for any available cover and became separated. Casualties among the settlers mounted very quickly. The men were able to hold off the attacking Indians for no more than a half-hour. Realizing the futility of further resistance, the surviving settlers, aided by then night, assembled as best they could and fled on horses, leaving behind the wagons containing all their earthly possessions. In the short half-hour, the Long Canes settlers suffered fifty-six killed and a number taken captive. The Cherokee raiding party sustained twenty-one killed and a number wounded. Among the killed was Chief Sunaratehee. 2 mi. west of Troy, Sec. Rd. 36, Rd. 341.

The Battle of Long Canes was fought by Patriot militia against British and Loyalist forces on the east side of the creek December 12, 1780 during the Revolutionary War. 2 mi. west of Troy on Sec. Rd. 36.

Vienne, the first commercial center in present-day McCormick County, is now a ghost town under the waters of Lake Thurmond. Located five miles southeast of present-day Mt. Carmel, Vienna was one of three thriving sister cities that developed on Savannah River in the late 1700s. Opposite on the Georgia side in the fork between Savannah and Broad rivers was Petersburg, and on the south side of Broad River and Savannah fork was Lisbon, both in then Wilkes County. The location of the three towns where two rivers met was a great advantage in water transportation. Yet the trade centers needed land transportation for bringing in the products of plantations, especially tobacco and cotton to be shipped and for travel. The towns were made accessible for wheeled conveyances, and became the location where land travel from western South Carolina and from the north and east of upper Georgia crossed. An integrated stage line from Milledgeville, Georgia to Washington, D. C., ran through Petersburg and Vienna as did a United States mail route. Flat boats called Petersburg Boats carried loads of tobacco, cotton, and flour down river to Augusta. Two ferries provided constant service across the River. Westward migration brought a drastic decline in the prosperity of Vienna and her sister cities Petersburg and Lisbon by the early 1820s. The town government of the dying town was abandoned in 1831. 5 mi. southwest of Mt Carmel, at end of Sec. Rd. 91, under water.

John de la Howe, (1710–1797) a French physician, came to South Carolina ca. 1764 and settled in the New Bordeaux French Huguenot community. His will left most of his estate, including Lethe Plantation, to the Agricultural Society of South Carolina to establish a home and school for underprivileged children. The Lethe Agricultural Seminary was founded here after de la Howe’s death in 1797.

Initially restricted to twenty-four boys and girls from what was then Abbeville County, with preference given to orphans, the school emphasized manual training, or instruction in operating a self-sufficient farm. In 1918, the school was turned over the State of South Carolina, opened to children from every county in the state, and renamed John de la Howe School. It is now a group child care agency. On Route 81, 2 mi. southwest of Route 28.

The quest for gold occupies a unique chapter in the annals of American history. It occupies a special place in the history of the Town of McCormick. The zealous quest for the precious metal influenced two men to the extent that it induced the spawning of the settlement and then town that became McCormick. In spite of their mutual interest the two men probably never met. The first was William Burkhalter Dorn’s unrelenting search for and discovery of gold. Dorn’s discovery of the mother lode at Peak Hill in 1852 insured the Dorn Mine a top spot in nineteenth century gold mining in South Carolina. Dorn made extensive investments in real property in the area and was an outstanding philanthropist. As a result of Dorn’s Mine a small settlement called Dorn’s Gold Mines sprang up around the mines. A post office by that name was established in 1857. Cyrus Hall McCormick’s investment in and ultimate purchase of the Dorn Mine from Billy Dorn, and his influence in the acquisition of a railroad terminal at the site clinched the permanence of the Town of McCormick. McCormick’s interest in securing a railroad connection to the Augusta and Greenwood Railroad was an attempt to boost the success of his gold and manganese mines.

Interest in the Dorn Mine was greatly increased because of the participation of the great nineteenth century industrialist Cyrus McCormick. The man who single-handedly changed the face of American agriculture would not experience similar success through his investment in the Dorn Mine, but he will be remembered for adding an engaging chapter to the saga of the mines, and for ensuring the future of the Town of McCormick. Cyrus Hall McCormick, born February 15, 1809, on the family farm Walnut Grove, in Rockbridge County, Virginia, was of Scots-Irish ancestry. At the age of twenty-two, McCormick devised the invention which would change his life and dramatically increase the efficiency of the American farmer. In 1831, and in only six weeks to develop the world’s first successful reaping machine. In all the centuries prior to 1831, there had been invented but two new agricultural implements for harvesting: the scythe (sixteenth century) and the cradle (eighteenth century). From that beginning in 1831, he rose to national prominence. Envisioning Chicago as the future railroad hub and gateway to the expanding West, he chose the Windy City as the site of his factory in 1847. Within two years, he repaid his creditors, and McCormick and Company (later known as International Harvester) was a sensational success.


Histoire

The roots of International Harvester can be traced back to the 1830s, when Cyrus Hall McCormick, an inventor from Virginia, finalized his version of a horse-drawn reaper. The reaper was demonstrated in tests in 1831 and was patented by Cyrus in 1834. Together with his brother, McCormick moved to Chicago in 1847 and started the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company. The McCormick reaper sold well, partially as a result of savvy and innovative business practices. Their products came onto the market just as the development of railroads offered wide distribution to distant market areas. He developed marketing and sales techniques, developing a vast network of trained salesmen able to demonstrate operation of the machines in the field.

McCormick died in Chicago, with his company passing on to his son, Cyrus McCormick, Jr. In 1902, the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company and Deering Harvester Company, along with three smaller agricultural equipment firms (Milwaukee Plano and Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner (manufacturers of Champion brand)) merged together to create the International Harvester Company (IHC).

Les McCormick-Deering tractors were renamed to just McCormick, which continued in Europe. In the USA, the tractors were later renamed International.

International Harvester sold off the Ag division in 1985 and later renamed the company. The Agricultural devision being bought by Tenneco, parent to J.I.Case, thus combining them to form Case IH tractor division and Case CE division for construction plant.

Case IH then decided to merge with Fiat's New Holland subsidiary to form CNH. This lead to the competition authorities in several countries ruling that for the merger to proceed they had to sell some production capacity in certain markets. The result was the Versatile factories in in Canada building high horse power machines were sold as the Steiger brand was retained. And in Europe the former International Harvester factory at Doncaster was sold along with some of the Case IH models built there and re branded as McCormick Tractors International Ltd owned by ARGO SpA of Italy, parent company of Landini.


Business Success

McCormick produced more of the machines, and at first, he only sold them to local farmers. But as word of the machine's amazing functionality spread, he began selling more. He ultimately started a factory in Chicago. The McCormick Reaper revolutionized agriculture, making it possible to harvest large areas of grain much faster than could have been done by men wielding scythes.

Because farmers could harvest more, they could plant more. So McCormick's invention of the reaper made the possibility of food shortages, or even famine, less likely.

It was said that before McCormick's machinery changed farming forever, families would have to struggle to cut enough grain during the fall to last them until the next harvest. One farmer, highly skilled at swinging at scythe, might only be able to harvest two acres of grain in a day.

With a reaper, one man with a horse could harvest large fields in a day. It was thus possible to have much larger farms, with hundreds or even thousands of acres.

The earliest horse-drawn reapers made by McCormick cut the grain, which fell onto a platform so it could be raked up by a man walking alongside the machine. Later models consistently added practical features, and McCormick's farm machinery business grew steadily. By the end of the 19th century, McCormick reapers did not just cut wheat, they could also thresh it and put it into sacks, ready for storage or shipment.

At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, McCormick exhibited his latest model. The American machine was the source of much curiosity. McCormick's reaper, during a competition held at an English farm in July 1851, outperformed a British-made reaper. When the McCormick reaper was returned to the Crystal Palace, the site of the Great Exhibition, word had spread. In the crowds attending the exhibition, the machine from America became a must-see attraction.

In the 1850s McCormick's business grew as Chicago became the center of the railroads in the Midwest, and his machinery could be shipped to all parts of the country. The spread of the reapers meant that American grain production also increased.

It has been noted that McCormick's farming machines may have had an impact on the Civil War, as they were more common in the North. And that meant farmhands going off to war had less impact on grain production. In the South, where hand tools were more common, the loss of farm hands to the military had much more impact.

In the years following the Civil War the company founded by McCormick continued to grow. When workers at McCormick's factory struck in 1886, events surrounding the strike led to the Haymarket Riot, a watershed event in American labor history.


Voir la vidéo: McCORMICK tractors international History Video 2 (Août 2022).